1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aguilar DB680 v Alembic FX1 v Demeter VTBP201s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by 6stringbassist, Oct 16, 2007.

1. 6stringbassist

6stringbassist

Hi

I'm looking for a valve preamp but have no chance of actually geting a bunch together and comparing them.

The main ones I'm interested in are the ones in the title of this thread.

I'm just interested in peoples experiences with these, and how the three compare soundwise.

I mainly play jazz and funk, I play a Modulus Q6 through a pair of Accugroove Tri112L cabs.

Thanks
  2. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    I can't comment on the Aguilar having only played through one on several occasions (other than to say it sounds awesome!) but I can give you some insight on the other two.

Main difference between the Alembic and the Dem is that the Alembic will add a warm, slightly scooped old school tube tone to the sound of your bass, whereas the Demeter is going to be more transparent and hi-fi. If you dig the sound of your bass and don't want your preamp to add much to it, the Demeter is probably the way to go. But if you're looking to tame the beast a little bit and warm it up at the same time, the Alembic might make more sense.

Personally I like how all of my instruments sound through my Alembic, as it adds a nice studio warmth without losing any of their built-in flavor. However, you may still need to add an external EQ to get more versatility out of it.

At any rate, all three are great options - you just need to decide what kind of role you want them to play in your tone.

Lonnybass
  3. Rick Blanc

Rick Blanc Supporting Member