1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AGUILAR DB680 v DEMETER HBP-1 v EDEN NAVIGATOR

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bclark812008, Feb 15, 2012.

1. bclark812008

bclark812008 Supporting Member

I am about to purchase one of the three. Does anyone have any experience with one or more of these??

I have tried the Demeter for a few minutes and loved it, but from what I've heard the Aguilar DB680 is a MONSTER!!!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!
  2. Son of Bovril

Son of Bovril

I only have experience with the EDEN NAV

From what I have heard about the other two, they have quite a thick tubey kinda tone, while the NAV (set flat) is a cleaner more modern tone. The compressor on the NAV is quite good and handy, and it has huge versitility in it's tonal range because of the extensive eq section, so it probably could get very close to the tones from the other two, but if you are looking for a thick 3D tubey vintage tone, the NAV wouldn't be my first choice

My Fender TBP-1 is probably more in line with the tones from the DB680 and the Demeter than the Eden Nav
  3. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

+1

IMlimE, the DB680 is not at all a tooby wooly type of pre at all. I would rather attribute clean, authoritative, precise. Textured mids, solid lows, natural highs... I had the pleasure playing thru one a few times, most impressive, but don't expect to get an Ampeg feel out of that thing...
  4. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

I love the DB680 so much I bought two! They are the only other preamps I have at this point beside my own. They sound huge and clear, and can do some nice growl if you push the gain a bit.
  5. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

I've owned all three. The DB680 is very different that what you would expect. In comparison to the other aguilar units, it might seem "sterile". What I mean is it is very neutral and the eq is very useful. The DB750 is known for its wolliness. There is no of that with the DB680. Very natural sounding with razorblade like eq. If you need to change for extremes, this is the one. Everytime I play this thing I remember why I purchased it. I've owned mine for 8 years!

With the Eden, which is a great sounding unit, it seems "dark" in comparison to the others. Useful EQ but can get dark sometimes and has the traditional eden sound. I had one of these first and keept it concurrently with the Aguilar.

Somewhere down the line I got the Demeter. I owned the original 1.5 space unit 2 and LOVED the unit. The only problem was the lack of EQ. With the HBP-1, it does not take phantom power. Mine as blown at a gig. Sent it to demeter and got a Jensen put in it. Honestly, wasn't sure it sounded better. Don't get me wrong it's a great sounding unit. Overall, the eq was OK, not as useful IMO as the Aguilar. It definitely has a hifi sound to it. Not bad, but it just didn't work for all things. I actually was more fond of the older units with limited eq. Sounded a little more focused to me.

If I had the choice I would get the Aguilar. It's a great sounding versatile unit that you won't replace soon. The only drawback with the unit is the size. It's big and heavy. Go to basstasters.com and hear the preamps. I think they have all three.

To give you some point of reference, I will use pickups to make comparison:

Aguilar= Nordstrand
    Eden=Bartolini
    Demeter=EMG

Good luck with your purchase
  6. bclark812008

bclark812008 Supporting Member

Sweet! that is a good comparison for me as I just went thru a bunch of different pups, those 3 included! Thanks!
  7. pedulla1

pedulla1 Supporting Member

I can confirm what pickebass said. The Aggie will be clear while remaining warm. The Eden will be warm and dark but I found it hard to cut through a mix. Flat it was too thin for me but but playing around with the eq I was lost in the mix. With the Aggie no such problems. Once you get used to the fully parametric eq you will find almost any tone! I currently use an Ampeg SVT-7 Pro (Aggie as backup) and the Aggie is not an Ampeg but has a wider eq while being clear and warm. Get the Aggie lol.