Aguilar DB750 problem

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by thejumpcat, Jan 8, 2014.

1. thejumpcat

thejumpcat thejumpcat Supporting Member

What would cause this head to keep tripping a circuit in my condo? I tried several different outlets, same result.

I'm using a Neutrik cable into an LDS 8 ohm cab.

When I hit the power switch, it hits like a halfway position then all the way up and the circuit trips.

I took the top lid off to see if there was anything obvious. There's a black metal plate, probably 4" square, in the front right. I noticed the large bolt on top was loose so I hand tightened it down and tried again.

The fans start whirring for a second and then it tripped the circuit again.

I've got the front panel switch in mute position.

Help.

2. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I think some of the earlier ones had issues tripping circuits due to the inrush current from the big toroidal power tranny. Sounds like that is what yours is doing. Probably won't happen on another circuit. Pretty sure Aguilar came up with a soft start fix so I'd give them a call.

3. thejumpcat

I think it's my condo! I just plugged it into another outlet and it works. Thanks!

4. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

What else is plugged into that circuit?

If it becomes a problem, you could put a plug a battery backup unit into the wall and the amp into it to soften the initial load to the utility power panel.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. thejumpcat

This condo is wired oddly. We just bought it in April. The dining room, kitchen and half the family room are all on one circuit! Other circuits have like one outlet to handle. Last night, the amp came on fine on that main circuit; this morning it blew it. Switched to the other in the family room and it blew that. Just for the heck of it, I plugged it into the half-bath outlet, which is GFI (is that the correct term?), and it was fine. As long as it's not the amp, I'm fine.

7. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    My old DB750 did the same thing when we lived in our apartment----I had to have it on a separate circuit or it would trip the breaker every time it started up.

8. shaft311

shaft311 Supporting Member

Who can play a DB750 powered rig in an apartment without getting kicked out!? :D

9. G-MonRV5

G-MonRV5 Supporting Member

+1... That's what I want to know. I figure the O'S problem is his neighbors sneaking in l
    flipping the breaker just to have some peace and quiet.

10. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

the half bath is probably on it's own circuit, it's supposed to be anyways, and it may be 20 amp too. it sounds like whoever built your condo may have stretched the electrical circuits to the max, maybe even a little too far.

11. Bass Collector

Bass Collector

I often had this problem, Aguilar sent me a thing called a Thermister and that fixed the problem, talk to them.