1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aguilar DB750 vs DB359

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ac3320, Jan 12, 2011.

1. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: 1964 EARS, LLC.
    Hey all...

Anyone have direct experience with both of these amps? Just recently picked up a 750 and it kills! Used it on a small-medium gig last night and it was amazing. Really, i understand what everyone's saying about how girthy and meaty/fat the notes are with the 750. Nice lil bloom in the low end, but still articulate enough to not get lost totally.

Here's my dilemma... I've followed the 359 literally for a year, reading what people have said about them, especially with respect to the 750, which seems to be the amp most people chose over the 359, for whatever reason. I have yet to play one, so i'm kinda curious whether it would sound better than the 750.

I don't need the massive volume of the 750, so losing the 'earth-shatteringness' of the amp by going to the 359 wouldn't be a bad thing for me personally. I never really do concert size stuff, mostly just big churches and there's always a nice house system where i play (thankfully).

I'm wondering...

1) will the 359 sound every bit as girthy as the 750, but just more of it = just plain better?

2) will it not be enough? i know that's hard for ya'll to answer, since you don't really know what i need/use on stage, but to maybe put things into perspectve: i usually just use one singe DB112 for most of my gigs, and at most i'll add another DB112 to fill it out, but when i do that, the amp's master is ALWAYS under 9 o'clock

3) if you have anything else to offer in regards to the 359 vs 750 (tone, feel, whether a newer 750 would be better in the long run compared to the 'older' 359's out there on the used market, etc.)

I know Nino Valenti has had one, and I've PM'd with him, Tom Bowlus, and joker about it, since they have all had direct experience with the 359. Curious what the rest of TB thinks! Kind of a shot in the dark, as the 359 is discontinued and has been for a lil bit, but they still pop up used so i figure some guys still know about them (what's most effective are direct comparisons in regards to the 750, as i have that now, and would like to know the pros/cons of switching the the 359 instead)

Thanks!
  2. bThumper38

bThumper38 brian ebert Gold Supporting Member

The Low End bass shop has two 359's for sale. I've had a 359, and a db680. I tried out a 751 up at bass northwest a few months ago, and for all the power that it had, I wasn't diggin' it as much. Not that you can ever have enough power, but i'd go with the 359. brian
  3. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Can you elaborate on why you didn't like the 751 as much? :D
  4. bThumper38

In my not so important opinion It kind of fealt like too much raw power, and not enough luster compared to a db359, or a db680. If you're into the really warm tube tone, check out an Avalon vt737, Unfortunately I had to firesale, but that's the first thing i'll be getting when I get the chance.
  5. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Sweet thanks for going into more detail. it really helps. Quick question.. how could "too much raw power" be a bad thing?

Also, hope all is well after your firesale. Fires are always a bad deal!
  6. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    The 359's at the Low End are price about $500 more than the last few that flipped thru classifieds here...
  7. bThumper38

Let me clarify, Never too much power, I just had a hard time dialing in the preamp, or tone part of the amp to get a really smooth tone. Now I didn't get to take it home, and sleep with her for a week, who knows, that'd probably change my opinion. Either way if you're between a 359, and a 750, The best answer is that's a WIN<WIN<SITUATION>. happy new year. I can't wait to get back to good gear. peace. brian
  8. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    I noticed that. Kinda steep if you ask me, but maybe they're willing to negotiate? who knows...
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

There is very little in common with the 750 and 359. The 359 is HUGE and HEAVY... it is two space, but the depth is just ridiculous (I think 20" or something). It is a relatively low power tube amp, which means it starts to break up and snarl at moderate volumes, where the DB750 stays 'constant' up to the 'knock the wall down' sound level.

The 359 has a beautiful clean tone, and for low volume gigs or studio work, it sounds quite nice. The break-up tone is not like an SVT... more grindy harsh to my ear.

Two totally different amps. If you like a clean tube tone, and play at volumes any more than the low end of moderate, and care anything about your back:D, avoid the 359. If you are looking for a nice tube amp in a studio or rehearsal space, or are looking for all out snarl at high volumes, it might work for you.

IMO and IME (there was a 359 at Low Down Sound for over a year, so we all got to spend quite a bit of time with one in Detroit).
  10. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Ha! Ken thanks for posting man! I don't think the weight factor is a *huge* deal, as i usually use a nifty Magna cart to wheel all my stuff from car --> stage, and only have to lift for a few seconds (yes!).

The biggest part of your response I resonate with is being afraid that it won't have enough clean headroom at medium volume levels (through two DB112's say) to handle the transients of a big slap on the B or E string. I never play stadium/arena stuff, so filling up a smallish-medium stage is the most the 359 would be asked to do.

I play praise/christian/church music almost exclusively, so the quickness of the 750 is sorta not needed (although, compared to most full solid state heads, I appreciate the slighty tubey give in the feel/tone of the notes...slight bloom, but not really 'all-tube' like). Thing is, i do have some occasional pop/funk gigs where slap is necessary and the quick-ish punchy tone of the 750 is just perfect.

And if i do go to the 359 and axe the 750, I don't want to give that good stuff up about the 750! But if i'll only lose a little bit of that 'feel,' I could deal with it, since for the majority of my gigs, I don't need the quickness of a solid state head, and the feel/tone of an all-tube amp is totally appropriate for what i'm playing usually (you know, Chris Tomlin, Matt Redman, David Crowder, Hillsong, and a tone of other contemporary artists' bass players use SVT rigs, which is it's own thing from the 359, but similar i would think) (Maybe the SVT is actually closer to the 750..i haven't played through an SVT rig, so I couldn't be sure!)

Thanks man!
  11. Chef

Disclosures:
    The DB359 weighs 50lbs: not bad for a big tube amp, really.
    The DB750 weighs 46lbs...

Not enough diff to quibble over, really.
  12. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    +1, although i do agree with Ken (and everyone else who's said this) that the form factor of the 359 is kinda weird, as they could have easily made a nice ~12-14" 3U box instead of the 2U really deep case that it had in the production versions.
  13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    When I owned mine, I only played it in 2 different heavy, loud rock bands. 1 band had a 100w tube 1/2 stack and the other band has 2 100w 1/2 stacks.

It got loud enough to be hear over them very easily. It wasn't clean but, IMO, it wasn't as dirty and nasty as ken says. But you have to remember the type of music Ken and I play. The only thing Ken and I have in common musically is we both play J styled basses. LOL :)

Personally, from reading post #10, I don't think the 359 is for you. What you may wanna try is see if the Low End has some sort or return policy, but one when you have a lot of playing planned and play it. If you love it, you're set. If you hate it, return it.
  14. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Nino thanks for chiming! It's always interesting deciphering what different people think about the same product, as their own likes/dislikes and style/genre [hate to use this word] biases come into play, you know? I would say my tone goals like somewhere in between yours and Ken's. Not to say that i want to sound half slow/tubey and half quick/meaty, but instead, that on a gig-to-gig basis, i'll maybe use a 'Ken' style tone for one gig, and then on the next gig, i'll use a 'Nino' style tone -- if that at all makes sense!
  15. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey Nino! +1 We are at different ends of the spectrum. If the OP wants clean, tubey tone, IMO there would be no advantage to the 359 for him IMO over the DB750.
  16. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

It's not so much the absolute weight as the form factor. However, given that you could put the 750 in a lightweight SKB type rack, the weight actually does become a bit of an issue since you would need a more custom made heavy duty rack to accomodate the strange form factor of the 359, and possibly an even heavier 'shock mounted' rack if you do serious gigging with the 359.
  17. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Aha! We're getting somewhere. So Ken, having played the 750 and the 359, knowing that i like a clean tubey tone (not that SVT grind is bad, just not what i use), you think the 750 delivers that as well as the 359 can? And it's just that the 359 CAN provide some overdrive, if that's my thing? How much overdriven tone are we talking about? I mean, a little bit of slight drive when REALLY digging in sounds okay to me, but not all-out aggressive rock/metal drive. Can do the 359 do the former better than the 750?
  18. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Again, all depends on how loud you play. The 359 sounds beautifully fat and warm and full and 'all tube' (duh!) at relatively low volumes (i.e., the volume of a 200-300 watt solid state amp, or a 200 watt tube amp run very clean). It is a touch fatter than the DB750, but again, only at quite low volumes IMO. Like most tube amps, especially the lower powered ones, it starts to break up and grind when you push it, and with its power rating, this happens quite early. I would say the clean volume output (assuming you have a cab that can handle the wattage) of the DB750 versus the 359 is three times+.

Of course, like any tube head, if you push it and are OK with it grinding a bit, it can get loud as heck. Just different tools for different jobs.

And, many who are into the tube power section grind thing don't really put the 359 at the top of the tonal heap for that tone.

That being said, Nino's clips with that head grinding and snarling are killer for what they are, and the DB750 won't do that.

IMO and IME!
  19. ac3320

ac3320

Disclosures:
    Some good discussion here everyone! have gotten some PM's from previous owners, and have the 359 has gotten mixed reviews. Most of the former 359 owners have moved onto a different kind of all-tube amp, not necessarily to the 750 (which i didn't expect of course, but kind of DID expect...)

Some of the mixed reviews have noted that when Aguilar designed the 359, they wanted it to be as clean as possible, and keep it from breaking up like say a vintage SVT. Thus, it sounds very warm/lush, but when it does break up, it's not all that glorious at all.
  20. Chef

Disclosures:
    I think, from what you've described, you'd be happier with the db750.
    Tons of headroom, still very plush and fat.
    If you don't like it, put a VT in front of it and be done.