Aguilar GS 210 enough?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sonen, Jan 17, 2013.

1. sonen

sonen

I have a chance to save my back and some space in the van by trading for a smaller cab. I have read great things about the Aguilar GS 210 but wanted to see if anyone is currently using one by itself and how it stacks up to a 4x10 or SWR Triad (my current cab).

I need a lot of low end boom and want to make sure that the 10's can do the job. I am using an 79 SVT head at 4ohms.
  2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

Maybe, maybe not.
  3. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

"I need a lot of low end boom" and 2 x 10 are not the best combo, i ran a 2 x10 Mesa/Boogie w a 300 watt amp and everything was fine until i started playing with a harder hitting drummer, moved up to a GS410 and 600 watts and i can hear myself now.
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    There is no replacement for displacement.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. pasta4lnch

pasta4lnch

^^agreed

fwiw I use a single GS112 and it works fine for a lot of gigs. . . depends on the music, venue size ect.

I've done a few larger places w/ no PA w/ it fine. No loud gtr player in the band, but a drummer. . .
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I use the 2x10 format exclusively (Acme B2) and I would never consider playing an average gig with just one. I could have done so but I prefer to carry a pair for safety. Halfway through the second set is not the time to realize that you should have brough more than a 2x10.
  8. Bass_Pounder

Bass_Pounder

Unless that cab is loaded with "super 10's" (displacement and sensitivity to match your other cabs), then most likely not.
  9. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

You can't cut your speakers in half and expect the same volume. Maybe you should be looking at 2x12's instead, as they're much closer to the 410 output than a 210 is.
  10. liquid sunshine

liquid sunshine

I gig with just a db 210 if you are through a pa it's a great monitor. I haven't had a problem yet where it isn't loud enough by it's self but it will happen at some point Another thing to consider it that you will always be pushing it pretty hard. Headroom is a great thing for tone and low end
  11. dfinnegan71

dfinnegan71

+1 on the 212. I have been giging with an Ampeg portabass 212 for about 4 years. It's perfect. about the same size as a 210 and i dont miss the 410 I used to lug around. a 210 would work in alot of band situations, but not a loud situation. What kind of music do you guys play?
    Big clubs with PA support or dive bars with no support? just some things to think about.
  12. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

I had a GS210 and when pushed hard it just doesn't work, it is fine for small gigs but for medium to large sports bars/clubs with out P.A. support you'll be very disappointed, it's also 67 pounds .... I used mine with a GS212 and that was a killer sounding rig,... it gave the GS212 the mids/upper mids that is lacking in that cabinet
  13. Marko5657

Marko5657 Supporting Member

I’d never recommend a 210 unless the person knew what gigs they’d be doing and knew a 210 would cover them.

+1 on the 212, and an 8-ohm one so another could potentially be added.

:)
  14. sonen

sonen

Thanks for all of the feedback. You guys have confirmed my suspicions so I passed on the trade. I will take a look at a 2x12 or possibly a 1x15 w/horn option. I use a lot of synth pedals so the boom has to prominent to my tone where it needs to be.

Thanks again for the advice!!