Aguilar GS412 and Mesa PH412 cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lemastas, Jan 27, 2013.

1. lemastas

lemastas Supporting Member

Hello

I was doing some searching online for bass cabs. The choices are between a PH412 or a GS412. I don't have the luxury to hear these cabs. Just going on reviews. I need a thick low sound not a mid range sound.

I currently use a GK 1001rb ii with an Ampeg Heritage 410hlf. The amp is too much for the Ampeg. The cab is a 4ohm cab and the gk is using 700watts @ 4ohms. The sound is not the greatest. I've read great reviews on both cabs, but since I cannot hear them in person I'll need some advice from those of you that have experience with these cabs. Which one provides the thickness? I've heard some of the DB series cabs and it wasn't what I was looking for in a cab, but I read that the GS series cab provide the lows.

I play jazz/Latin/funk/r&b/rock with a p and j bass (passive). I think the GS412 would be ok with the gk head. At some point I will get a different amp but for the moment the gk is it till I can get some more funds to purchase a different amp. I need to resolve the cab issue first.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks

Leonardo

2. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Gs412 definitely sounds great with the 1001rb. So would the powerhouse i imagine. I'd describe the Aggie as polished, smooth, fat. The ph is more rock voiced, ridged, electric. Both great. The Aggie is a lot lighter.

3. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I think the GS will cater to your genres better.

4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Agreed. Based on everything I've ever heard about both cabs, the Aguilar GS is the one you want. Should work especially fine for all your jazz, Latin & R&B playing: very deep, round & smooth... :bassist: :cool:

MM

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky Supporting Member

I've had the PH412 and play a PH212^2 setup, and it's definitely more "mid voiced" IMO than scooped/rounded.
    I'm surprised you didn't like the DB since that's a sealed cab. My Bergantinos in the past have felt like they give way more "support" than flat out "in your face" stuff like the Mesas. But ya, if you dont want mids, don't get the PH cab lol.

7. sevdog

sevdog

I used to have the PH412 and now I have a GS412. I think they're more similar than different. I had the PH412 and chose it because of the road ready capability more than anything. I only sold it when I wan't gigging and needed the money.

Now I have a GS412. I only bought it over the PH412 because it was available locally used at the time.

I Love 412's because of the mobility versus an 810 fridge, plus I like the fatness of them versus most 810's although I find that most good cabinets can be coaxed into sounding however I want them to.

So.......

Buy the PH412 if you want the Road Ready stuff, I do miss that, especially the handles on the bottom of the cabinet so that when you tilt and lift you have something to grab.

Buy the GS412 if it's around and will save you little $$$

Both will sound good and similar when used with the same head.

8. sevdog

sevdog

P.S. You may change your mind on getting rid of the GK when you get it on top of a 412...it will be an AWESOME rig.

9. mournblade

mournblade

The GK 4x12 is also a nice 4x12 cabinet, would go nicely with your 1001 aqnd new is several hundred cheaper than the Aggie or Mesa. I had the GK 4x12 and have the Mesa PH4x12. Only reaon I got rid of the GK is that the shelf area for the amp head was too small for my Mesa 's. Lighter by almost 30 lbs than the Mesa (going of memory here). Just one more choice to further muddy the waters.

I have had no experience with the Aguilar, though they do make a nice looking product.