aguilar + mesa = happy camper

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bollefen, May 20, 2003.

1. bollefen

bollefen

got an aguilar gs112 and a mesa walkabout and love the sound, phat. can get pretty close to hifi, but not quite, but just love this combination.

tried a few combinations, epi's berg's edens but found my sound.

playing a warwick through it, just need to get a jazz and i'm set!

been away from the bass for 20+ years, nice stuff out there now!
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Nice rig you have there, bollefen. Congrats! Welcome back to the bass, btw. :)
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Congrats! Nice rig, for sure. Especially when you add a second GS112! :D :bassist:

I recently picked up a Walkabout and an Epifani T-112 (and T-110UL). Did you get a chance to A/B the Epifani T-112 versus the GS112 with the Walkabout? I never did get a chance to check out the Aggie, but once I heard the T-112, I fell for it hard.

Tom.
  4. bollefen

bollefen

never got to a/b them so this is somewhat subjective and subject to memory.

the epi was too hi-fi for me, not quite sterile not quite warm, not quite anything but what you put in it. a good thing but...

i'm an old bass plyer who wanted some of the early bass tones i grew up with and honestly couldn't get the phat. tried the epi with eden, aguilar amp, acoustic clarus, even svt and hartke.

the mesa aggie gets to about 90% hi-fi but absolutely kills on the phat .
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    I could see that. In my case, though, I was looking for a very accurate cab, in a very portable package. Ultimately, it came down to the Epi T-112/T-110UL pair versus the Accugroove Mini Whappo. Both were very accurate and balanced, with the Accugroove being somewhat less colored. But the Epi's won on portability (and I did find their "coloration" pleasant).
    I have heard that the GS112 excels in that regard.
    As far as the Walkabout portion of that equation goes, I totally agree. That little head can crank out a very wide variety of tones, from tubey warm, to fairly hi-fi, and even a nice overdriven tone, all depending on how you setup the Gain versus Master. The EQ options are also very flexible, and allow for even further tailoring. That Mid control really changes the character of the tone.

Enjoy your rig!

Tom.
  7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee

Welcome to the club!

I love my Walkabout, and can't wait for it to come back from Mesa after a deadly bout with an outlet miswired for 208V. :bawl:

I just picked up an Ampeg Portabass 250 from GC (gotta love the 15 months to pay it off with no interest:D ), and while it sounds good enough to keep as a backup, the Mesa will move back to the head of the class when it is no longer 1/3rd charred on the inside. :meh:

I've been using the Mesa with an Aguilar GS112 and an EA CXL110, and the results are astounding. The best of both worlds, really. Big and phat from the Aguilar with the added punch and clarity of the EA. Back when I had two GS112s with the MEsa, the sound was about as full and ballsy as you can get. But, I prefer the articulation that the 1x10" adds to the mix.

The entire rig fits on my handtruck and totals about 75 lbs. :D

In the future, I might go and pick up a matching 2x12 for the Portabass. I could use both the Mesa with the Aguilar, and the EA, and the Portabass stack and cut through any mix, no matter how loud. And, of course, still be able to save my back now that I've topped the big 3-0...
  8. tombowlus

Disclosures:
    Agreed! I was astounded at how much better things sounded when I tried adding the T-110UL to the T-112. 1x12's with 1x10's are a nice pairing, with the sum being greater than the parts, IMHO.

Tom.
  9. bollefen

bollefen

hmmmmm... what is that feeling i'm getting? what is that sound i'm hearing?

GAAAKKK

the dreaded GAS

i hear a 1x10 calling me... :)
  10. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

congrats, B!

sure, an Acme B2 woulda been nice, too... ;) :p

just kidding, just kidding!
  11. neptoon

neptoon

last night i carried my eden metro/d115xlt and a hartke 410 xlt to a gig...sounds great, but umm...i had to carry the thing 3 flights of stairs. all you guys with teeny rigs have gotten me to thinking. i'm really considering something in the way of a pair of aguilar 112's and a mesa m-pulse 600. that would be boss, i think :D
  12. Steve S

Steve S

I bought a used GS 112 last week and took it to a club with my Ashdown MAG 400. I had previously used an Avatar 210 and wanted to hear what people have been saying about this cab. I did not DI into the PA either.

The GS112 is the best speaker that I have ever played through. Tight, phat, punchy. It rocked the whole club and just filled it with a heavy bottom. The Avatar 210 is a loud cab but it lacks enough bass for me. I'm going to get another GS 112.
  13. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Any body ever try a Walkabout with the Berg HT112?