Aguilar OBP-1/2 or 3 for P bass? + general help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Discharge, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

I'm building a parts bass up from scratch and i'd like to use a pre-amp (1 Pickup, 3 Knob), i'll admitt I know jack all about pre-amps and i'm basing my purchase on the fact that I like aguilar cabs :oops:

Which pre-amp works best in a P, I was thinking of using SPB-3 Quarter Pounder SD bassline pickups?

As you may have guessed I don't really have a big direction here, to give you an idea of my tastes:

Mark Bass and GK amps
    Sandberg and Warwick basses

I don't really have a specific P sound that i'm going for as I like it's tone in most contexts, so if anyone has some clips which convey the differences.... I'd appreciate that as I could pick where I want to go.

2. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

The OBP-1 is a two band pre and it is boost only. If you go this rout I would add a passive tone control so your three knobs would be Vol/Bass-Treble stacked/Tone. This may be my favorite of the three.

The OBP-2 is a two band also but is bass/treble boost/cut. This one would be set up Vol/Bass/Treble for your three knobs.

The OBP-3 is a three band with bass/mid/treble boost/cut with a switchable mid frequency between 400 and 800hz. You would set this one up as Vol/Treble-bass stacked/Mid with either a push pull pot on the mids or a switch to for the mid range frequency selector.

All three are good, in your case I would probably go with on OBD-2 for simplicity, unless you want the mid control.

3. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I really like Aguilar preamps, but be aware that they don't have an output level trimpot like other preamps such as Bart or Nordy has. Of course this is not a concern if you don't want to worry about level matching between different basses, or your pickups do not overload your amp. But it's nice to boost the output if you use low output pickups, back of the output if you use high output pickups, or if you want to make all of your basses have the same output so you can switch on the fly.

Just something to be aware of.

4. Discharge

Discharge

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Also note that the OBP-1 has a treble corner frequency of 4 K whereas the other two are at 6.5K.

The high end, when boosted or cut, sounds very different between the two corner frequencies.

7. Vipersassasin

Vipersassasin

Honestly, you might want (no matter what pre-amp you decide to install) to have an active/passive switch just in case your battery runs out in the middle of a song. My 3 knob for a P-Bass would be Volume/Passive Tone/Stacked Bass-Treble using the OBP-2 So you would have the knobs for your passive volume in single form while your active knobs are in a dual knob so you know on the fly which knob is which... Also if you go with Humbuckers instead maybe adding a push/pull knob for your volume so you can have series/parallel switching. Just giving you some options!