Aguilar OBP-2 or? For Squier VM Jazz upgrade

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Marial, Apr 8, 2014.

1. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

I'm thinking about continuing the mods to my VM Jazz and I'm now looking at preamps. I like the form factor of the Aggy OBP-2 (trying to do this without additional routing), but not having heard one, I have no idea if it will fit my needs tonally.

This is a fretless bass with Seymour Duncan Antiquity II pickups, and what I'm going for is a big, thick, warm sound, with a clear, clean, but not brittle top end.

Were I to go with the OBP-2, I'd go with the two pick-up/three knob configuration, but I have no idea what the best version of that would be. Given that I'm dealing with single coils and hum, does it matter which three knob configuration I go with?

I ran both an internal search and a Google search, but didn't find anything that really answered my questions. :bag:
  2. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I had an OBP-3 in my Lull when I bought it. Sounded good in the showroom but live it was all lows and high end - no decent mids (despite having a mid-range cut/boost) to help the notes cut through. I just couldn't get that preamp to work in a live setting. Switched the pre to a Sadowsky and the problem was fixed. Even passive the bass sounded better.
  3. Marial

Yeah, given what I'm finding out elsewhere the Aguilar may not be what I'm going for. It seems like the Audere is going to be better.
  4. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

My VM Jazz sounds pretty amazing with the OBP-2, but I am running Rio Grande pickups in that bass, and it is also not fretless. I haven't had the same problems as bass12 has had in live settings, it sounds great. Its possible that Aguilar preamps work better with some pickups than they do with others.
  5. Marial

I have no doubt that's true of most preamps. It seems like the Aguilar preamps are better suited for a more modern/aggressive tone, which is not what I'm after.
  6. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
  7. Marial

Only issue with that one is that it will require routing and a pick guard. Otherwise it would definitely be the one. Might have to price out the work, though....
  8. Selta

Selta

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: EBMM
    I don't know the bass, but is there a rear control cavity? I imagine you could take the pots off of the control plate and surface mount them as normal?
  9. Marial

Nope, all the space there is is under the control plate. I'll have to give Lull's shop a call...