Aguilar OBP-3 Preamp Installed: results, Tone review, and some usefull tips!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by FunkyMan, May 26, 2010.

1. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Greetings! Well, as title says i've just installed this preamp on my Warwick Streamer Jazzman bass and I am going to resume the whole odissey, to serve as a guide i hope.. here you go:

Tone Review:

-First of all don't be afraid about losing the own voice of your bass because this preamp is very transparent, doesn't add much color to the sound

-Eq are INSANE :eek: Bass pot is HUGE, I even dare say, you will never need to boost the knob to 100% because it is ridiculously too much, your amp could start cliping, but despite this, if you do, the sound is still defined.. Awesome!

-Mid Pot: very usefull, stacked push/pull switch (in my case) 800Hz freq is very nasal but i suggest to boost a little bass to help on not loose bottom end, this only work when you boost 100%, same with 400Hz... i can say that 400Hz is the extra bonus gift of the preamp because is another color of nasal tone, more fat, I would describe it as if the bass is sounding like with a Evelop filter pedal conected, but with dynamics all cut.. you get it? it has a very minimal "wha" feel.. very nice!

Trebele Pot: At first I was pretty disappointed, because the glow effect is not noticed at first glance, this preamp will not give you that bright sound, as if you were playing with a pick, but I was investigating, even i ask this to the Aguilar support staff via email, to verify if this is normal, or was a defect, and they told me that is normal, that treble pot just opens up the sound, gives more presence, without being "Harsh" the brightness is most noticeable when you use an amp with horn, mine doesn't, I experimented with one that had, and actually worked.. they were rigth!

Some tips:

-You need a truck full of patience. and extra Wires

-it is recommended to cover the bass with paper or cloth before working on
    -Make sure to do this (pic below) when you are connecting wires because they are very fragile, and break easly (Shame on Aguilar.. we would apreciate better quality wires) I had to make new tips like 4 times for this reason, and if any tiny fiber is sticking out, could not work well, and maybe make a noise:

[​IMG]

There's other little details about installing that i can't remember now, but if you have questions don't hesitate ask me..Well I hope this post will be helpful, and I highly recommend this preamp to improve the performance of your bass! Good Luck

2. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner at Mo's Shop - Tech at Nordstrand Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Nordstrand - DR strings - Sadowsky - Genz Benz
    I've installed a good amount of aguilar pre's and never had even a tiny bit of a problem with wire connection/reliability.....

Boosted 800hz fatter than 400hz?

:meh:

3. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

Maybe i'ts inverse? :bag: i honestly don't know that technical language.. and i don't know.. those was things that happened to me only maybe.. I just wanted to give a warning.. I never wanted to say that the preamps were bad.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

The EQ is not Parametric.

Although there is a wiring option to sweep between 400 and 800 Hz. For me it wasn't as useful as I anticipated so I went back to the standard wiring scheme.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. FunkyMan

FunkyMan

:eyebrow: sorry, once again surfaced my ignorance on technical language...! I'm learning from you! and i find it very useful

7. DanRJBrasil

DanRJBrasil

8. metalinthenight

metalinthenight

nah, man this thing RULES!! I just got one installed into my SR506 and it just kills. I love the sound and the tweakablility (=real word). I had the Tone Hammer on my board and it was on all the time, and when I put the new preamp into my bass I kept having to check whether or not the TH was on or off. Great sound. Great preamp.

9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    If you're going to install a push/pull, I recommend dropping two 1M resistors in between the wires to eliminate the pop.

I recently switched out my push/pull with a concentric knob and wired the mids as sweepable. I love it. I find that the 400hz is sometimes too thick and the 800hz can get too nasaly. Blending in between them around 600hz is the perfect solution, with leeway on either side so that I can fatten up my tone by dialing down to 400hz, or getting a nice pick tone with the 800hz option. Also, the upgrade has made all of my pots stacked, which is awesome. :)

My favorite pre, bar none.

10. brentonkim

brentonkim

hm, did you get the OBP-3 prewired or no?

11. Enmesarra

Enmesarra

I got my OBP-3 non-prewired, and the wiring part was just pain in the ass. I don't get about the soldering - electronics - drilling etc.. stuff, so I took it to a guy here, he tried it for hours but failed to install it correctly. I had to pay another guy to get it fixed, and there are still some minor grounding issues.

The preamp? Awesome. I got mine about 3 years ago, with 4 knobs - 2 switches (bass/treble, mid, blend, vol. knobs and mid freq, passive/active switches) and I'm pretty happy with the tone and versatility. Definitely recommended.

12. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    I've gotten it pre-wired and plain, and I'll agree that wiring it up is not the most fun task in the world. Not overly difficult, but I believe I counted it out one time to be around 50 solder joints, and in a tiny space...you may just be better off paying the $40 to have it pre-wired from BestBassGear or paying a good local tech to install it and clean up the wiring in the control cavity.

13. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    I am just about to do the same mod to mine. Can't wait!
    Except I am keeping the mid as a push/pull, but for active/passive. The Tone pot I currently have as a/p is kinda eh, so I am keeping the mid as fully useable.
    +1 on the resistors, too! The pop is kinda nuts.

And you can wire up most of it out of the bass... and it helps to twist the wires into easier to manage "dreadlocks" as opposed to a rats nest.

14. lumerino

lumerino

hi man, your information is really helpful, any considerations to keep the preamp without noise? i just installed my obp3 in a ksd 705 a week ago, but i have problems with noise,specially when i pull up the treble and when i´m blending the pups

thanks

15. scotch

scotch Will play bass for fish tacos. Plus cash. Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    How is the sweepable mids mod done?

16. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

17. David Jayne

David Jayne

Helpful tip: when wiring things as complex as this, punch holes into a piece of cardboard in a way that matches your control layout. Mount all the pots/switches etc. Now do all your wire routing and soldering. When done, remove your neatly finished assembly and install. Much easier than doing it in the bass.

18. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

thanks for that ;)
    here is the dual 500k linear pot:

http://www.futurlec.com/cgi-bin/redicart/smart.cgi?command=review
    or:
    http://www.guitarpartssite.com/ALPHA-R-VA2X500KL-p/r-va2x500kl-ce.htm
    wow, quite a price difference...

makes sense ;)

19. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Yes, because (iirc) futurlec is a manufacturer and GPS is a reseller. Middle-man markups strike again!

20. rojo412

rojo412 MARK IT ZERO! Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Proprietor, ACF Custom
    futurelec took 4 weeks to send my order. Want a pot? I have extras and can send you one. PM me!