Aguilar OBP-3SK/PP Onboard Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by LowEndWooly, Jan 18, 2014.

1. LowEndWooly

LowEndWooly Supporting Member

I have a Sterling by Musicman Ray34ca (an AWESOME bass, by the way) that I switched out pups for a Nordstrand MM4.2. I love All of the Aguilar tone that I've heard (TH500 through some aggies) and want to capture some of that.

I bought this preamp to swap the stock with. Something I'm looking forward to is having stacked High/Low and a Mid with a push/pull frequency selector.

I play through a Genz Benz GBE 1200 and an Aguilar GS 412 playing mostly funk rock type stuff.

Think this is a good buy?

I have never switched an onboard preamp before, and I'm a little nervous about it. I have a friend who does decent soldering jobs, but I'm still scared to mess up my baby. Any advice from those who have swabbed OBPs?

2. LowEndWooly

One particular question...

I don't understand a lot about pots.. Do I need to replace all of the pots or is it a good idea to? What suggestions do you have on quality pots?

3. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

You're going to need two stacked pots for sure I would just change them all to the same brand CTS.

4. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. LowEndWooly

Just got the Preamp in today. It came with two pots.. one push/pull for the mid and one stacked for the high/low.

To be honest.. looking at the parts and diagram, I think I'm over my head a bit. I'm thinking I should just send my bass in to get it installed by a professional. Good idea?

Also.. in regards to the volume, will I need another pot for that, or should I wire it to this OBP? MJac, you say to change them all to the same brand CTS, could you provide a link with a suggestion? I would really appreciate the help.

7. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I had one installed in my conklin gt7 and love it. i went from a stock 2 band volume/blend/ bass/treble to volum/blend/ stacked bass and treble/push pull mid for frequency select. Just posted a thread so you can check it out. I can't say it'll make as big a difference with every bass but i can say i was also seriously thinking about replacing the cheap barts with Delano's and i haven't because happy with how the bass sounds.

8. Nephilymbass

Btw the wiring diagram for my control configuration was NOT included with the pre amp. But i was able to print it from aguilars site. I paid $60 for pots and labor to have it installed.

9. gard0300

gard0300 Supporting Member

If you wouldn't mind, could you post a sound clip when finished with the installation. I've thought about doing this exact same modification.

10. gpx1200

gpx1200

I replaced the tone pump in my spector euro lx4 with an obp-3 just to get a mid control and a single volume/blend setup but the awesome tone that came with the package was an added bonus, I liked it so much I put one in my zebop as well, one thing I love about this preamp in bolth basses is that you can crank the bass knob all the way up and it never gets boomy or muddy.
    this preamp can do smooth vintage,funky slap or edgy metal tones.
    the wires are all color coded so if you have a good diagram its not that hard but their are a lot of conections that are close togeather so if your soldering is slopy its easy to make a short somewear.
    best bassgear has good wiering diagrams on their site they also sell pretty good looking knobs that fit the stacked bass/treble pot that comes with the preamp

11. Nephilymbass

Actually i may have gotten the diagram off best bass gear. It does come with like 4 different diagrams just not the one i needed. As mentioned its just works. With a lot of pre amps if you boost treble you get a harsh sound and a lot of noise, or if you boost bass it gets really muddy. They did a great job with the preamp design. I opted for a 9v setup and no complaints here.

12. LowEndWooly

Nephlym,

I also got the 9V, though I am planning a Warmoth build with the Aguilar MM pup and preamp with 18V. I think I'm just going to send it in to a tech to install this one.. Might as well get it right the first time.

Gard, I'd love to post a pre and post installation sound clip. I've never done it before, though. What is the best way to get a decent sound recorded?

13. Nephilymbass

I would definitely let a pro install it. Its a bit more complicated that most people would think. There's a lot of connections. Heres some pictures of the control cavity of my Conklin GT7. this is the volume, blend, bass/treble stack, and push pull mid for frequency select. Didn't have to drill any holes in the bass at all. but I did have to replace every single pot on the bass. pots were cheap I got the push pull mid and the bass treble stack with the pre amp. It costs me about $60 to have the pre amp installed including the price of the other pots and the knobs for the bass/treble stack. the other 3 knobs I was able to reuse.

Attached Files:

14. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member