1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aguilar - Official 'Tone Hammer 500' 3.8lbs 500w Thread #3

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Chef, Dec 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
  2. IntrepidCellist

IntrepidCellist Supporting Member

3. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Haven't posted a photo in a while. I'm in!

[​IMG]
  4. Ewo

Ewo a/k/a Steve Cooper Supporting Member

It's a keeper for me, yeah.

I like the interaction of the drive and semiparametric mid EQ real well. And it's cool that the treble EQ is set lower than many heads. I mean, it's top end on a bass, not in dog whistle range.
  5. GRoberts

GRoberts Supporting Member

Looking and lurking as usual.
  6. Kirkowitz

Kirkowitz

Subbed... again... and hoping Santa comes through for me this year :crying:
  7. astack

astack Supporting Member

Party on Wayne! Subbed :cool:
  8. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Same here...very curious about the TH500 as an alternative to my GB SMax 9.2

Not sure because I'm already running my Tone Hammer pedal...so I think I have that "flavor" already...any more insight into my GAS dilemma???
  9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I would think the ONLY reason for that change would be if you ALWAYS engaged the Tone Hammer EQ into your tone, and never made use of the amazing EQ of the Max 9.2. If that is the case (i.e., that you are really only using the Max 9.2 as a relatively neutral 'tone platform' for the Tone Hammer pedal, then you could get there in a smaller, more simple way with the 'all in one thing', and you most likely wouldn't notice much of a volume difference (the TH500 is a hammer for its rated wattage).

However, my guess is, that is not the case.... stick with what you have. That Max 9.2 is killer.
  10. CTC564

CTC564 Gold Supporting Member

Cool...very appreciated KJung as always

Merry Christmas to you and all my TB Brethren!!!
  11. pauliebass

pauliebass Supporting Member

This head rocked a room last night with a single Berg HT112. Probably 150-200 peeps. Should I have brought 2 cabs? Yes. Was I fine though? Yep.
  12. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Looking to add one of these or a TH350 to my DB750 and Berg cab set up. Love Aggie gear!
  13. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Yep, great amp!
  14. Kilometers

Kilometers

Just ordered this + a GS 112 for a really killer price off of Amazon. Both items are included in the 15% off holiday savings and the cab was $100 under anywhere else. I'm upgrading from a Ibanez SW100 so yeah, pretty excited. If my Bongo can make that amp sound good then I think I might pass out/**** myself when I hear it with this amp. Definitely going to post pictures of my tiny little beast of a setup when I get it!
  15. Eublet

Eublet

Like Ken suggested, my advice is to not do it. Just insert the Tone Hammer into the FX return on your Shuttle, and you'll have a a TH500 roughly speaking. They're voiced the same, and all you'll be missing is the variable AGS control on the TH500 via the Drive knob, which is pretty subtle after playing with it for a while.
  16. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
    I have gone through several cabinets, with my TH500. I loved the Bergs, but wanted to shoot for the super-light......Epifani UL-410 series I sounds great......also have a plan for a TRULY customized cabinet.

Here is the path:

Bergantino HT-310:
    [​IMG]

Epifani UG-112:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Schroeder Mini 12+L:
    [​IMG]

Bergantino HT210:
    [​IMG]

Current set-up:

Epifani UL-410 I, 4 ohm:
    [​IMG]
  17. rodl2005

rodl2005

I use my TH500 with either Berg ae112 (1 or 2 stacked), Berg NV412 or 3015 modded PF115HE (1 or 2 stacked).
    I had my Fender Studio 200 tube head set up on top of the NV412 the other night. Was a big "barn" of a room & the Fender was just on it's limits of clean volume.
    So, out came the TH500 DAMN, it was cool to have the extra headroom.
    Still had superb tone & crunch. So light, small & packed fulla tone.
  18. Dominoes

Dominoes

I'm going to start playing bass again and am looking for advice on a small, portable amp. I have a Stingray 5.

Years ago, the Aguilar GS-112 was popular for this. Still a good idea, or should I buy something else? What head should I pair it with? I'm looking for something light, but powerful. Is Aguilar TH-500 a good match? I had an ampeg preamp and QSC USA-850 power amp before, and the ampeg preamp made a very loud, constant buzz. I don't want to deal with that again.

How does the the DB 112 compare? Is the SL-112 sound compromised by the lightweight drives?
  19. Mulebagger

Mulebagger Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Zon Guitars, DR Strings
    I run mine with two BagEnds.

It's a keeper for sure.

[​IMG]
  20. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    The DB compared to the GS is not as "scooped" in the mids as the GS is. I've not tried the SL, but have seen it written that they do not sacrifice low end; however, the DB low end is more "extended". I'm having a 1010/6 built by Don Oatman at LDS: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/low-down-sound-club-part-four-848736/index18.html and read all about Low Down Sound :cool:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.