Aguilar or Delano in a Roscoe Century Plus 5?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EZ9R, Dec 22, 2013.

1. EZ9R

EZ9R

I own a Roscoe Century Plus. Great playing bass. Swamp Ash Body with a Bubinga top. I'm just not too found of the Bartolini CB series pickups that came with the bass. I like to solo the bridge pickup about 90% of time.
    My question: has anyone head the Delano BCD soap bars or the Aguilar DCB pickups. I'm debating on either two. They make them in a P2 size. Or trying the Bartolini Non-CB series.
    Also, does anyone know if you can buy Bartolini / Roscoe Specs as after market?
    Thanks

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

What don't you like about the CB's? I ask because I have CB's in my Lakland and I go back and fourth on my opinion of them and I'd like to see if others hear the same thing I think I do :)

3. EZ9R

EZ9R

When I play using both pickups, they sound great. Nice slap sound. But, I'm a Jaco, Jeff Berlin, Gary Willis fan and I like the tone of soloing just the bridge pickup. The CB series sound, to me, dull with no presences. I own and have own basses with Barts. Had a Tobias 6 before he sold his company. A Ibanez Gary Willis. And, a Fender Jazz with Barts. The Roscoe is the first bass I've owned with the CB series. The Roscoe is made of Swamp Ash Body with a Bubinga top and a Birds Eye maple fingerboard. Excellent tone woods and perfectly crafted. I just think the Bartolini CB series is lacking in what qualities I said before. That's just IMO and curious about the Aguilars, Delanos. Or Even the Bartolini Non-CB.

4. mmbongo

lol that's exactly how I feel! I L O V E the deep fatness of both pickups together, but the bridge pickup alone pales in comparison to my 44-02 with a 'deep' Bart MM pickup.

I tried a set of SGD Neo's and while the bridge pickup sounded phenomenal and was exactly the tone I wanted, they did not have that deep punch that the Barts had together. The SGD's also did not have the high end sharpness that the Barts have. I think I may would have kept those excpet that the blades were not wide enough to cover the spacing so I'm still thinking of getting another set of SGD's made a little wider. I'll also be watching for responses about the other pickups, especially Aguilar Neo's.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Get the Aggies plus an OBP-3. I just threw a set in my Roscoe SKB. The best way to describe them is that they sound like a Roscoe with even more Roscoe. I am very pleased with the top end too. They are brighter than the Nord DCs and Bart CBs. These are pickups I've been waiting for my whole life.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1387818903.990742.jpg

7. mmbongo

Dang, I was on board until you said they were brighter than the Bart CB's..which are waaaay to bright for me. I run them with the treble control almost all the way down. And don't get me wrong...I love brightness. CB's are just a little too much. In this particular bass, anyway.

8. EZ9R

EZ9R

Did you get the Aguilar P-4 shape? Thats the size of the Bartolinis I have.

9. EZ9R

EZ9R

Do you own a Musicman Bongo? I have a 4 and 5 string with the new tuners. If so, what's your opinion on them?

10. EZ9R

EZ9R

11. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Buy a set of the Roscoe Barts, they are a little compressed in the highs.

12. mmbongo

I sold my Bongo a few years back actually for financial reasons. Don't know why I never got another one, just didn't I guess! Don't have a bad thing to say about them, great basses. Of course I named myself after that bass. Needed a name...there sat my Music Man Bongo...mmbongo was born!

13. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

It must be a wood thing then. I always thought that the old Nord DCs sounded close to the CBs but, sounded like they had a wet blanket on them. I ran the treble all the way up because otherwise it sounded dead.

14. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Gold Supporting Member

Stick a Roscoe Demeter with those Nord DCs and they will come alive. I'm talking tight bottom and glassy highs that are sweet and a slight mid scoop. IMHO it is the best preamp ever put into a Roscoe bass.