Aguilar or Gk head?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by XSterling, Dec 27, 2013.

1. XSterling

XSterling

First of all... Merry Christmas!!!

I've an Aguilar 410BD cab (700w/4Ohm) that I usually pair with the MarkBass head of my CMD121 combo (alone, of course) when I need more volume with my country-rock band.
    I have a Fdeck's Series II and a Fishman ProEQ Platinum too. Good ply doublebass with gut strings and an Underwood pickup.

I want to try another head for the 410 but I don't know which one will be better for my pourpose: Aguilar AG500 SC or GK 1001RB (too hard to find an old 800RB were I live!).
    I can't try these amps so I want your opinion!
  2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

That's essentially a Little Mark II running either a 1X12 or a 410 cabinet. So as long as you're just using the head from the CMD 121, the wattage of the Aguilar and Little Mark are much the same. The only difference would be the EQ section, and the only way to know if you liked it, would be to compare it to the CMD's head. Since that's not an option, I'd go with a head that I could hear, to compare the two.

If I had to use just one of those units, I'd try the FDeck first, because it's un colored, the Fishman Pro Platinum was voiced for use with either the Full Circle, or BP-100. I think the Underwood would sound more open with the FDeck.

Opinions aside, I wouldn't ever recommend someone buying a piece of gear without trying it with your bass, pickup, and pre amp. So, if you can't get your hands on either the Aguilar, or the 1001RB, I'd recommend trying amps that you can demo, and have repaired in Spain. Sorry, I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.

Ric