1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aguilar P/J ..... on the way!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jhfishn, Oct 16, 2012.

1. jhfishn

jhfishn Supporting Member

Well folks ............ I just sent payment for an Aguilar P/J set.

The P-bass is the AG 4P-60 and the J-pickup is the new AG 4J-HC and I am psyched!!!

I'll have to post a review once they are installed.

I have a USA Lakland Bob Glaub with P/J's (order it that way back in 2003) and have never been fond of the stock Fralins. By stock I mean the pickups that came with the Lakland. I found out that they are voiced differently than the stock Fralins you get from Lindy which was an eye opener to me.

I suppose most high end bass builders have special voiced pickups though so it shouldn't come as a surprise I guess.

At any rate ........ it's Aguilar baby!!! :bassist: Whoo Hooo! :D

2. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

Congrats!

I am interested to hear how the P pick up perform. There's been few reviews since these came out. Knowing Aguilar tonal preferences, I would expect to perform very well.

3. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    Nice. Please post clips when you get a chance. I had my tech install an EMG P/J set along with an EMG BTC. Sounds pretty good. I'd like to try a Bartolini P/J set at some point.

4. Highpost

Highpost

I emailed them a while back. They said October . I've been looking on their website. I guess I have to call the company again. Let us know how they sound. Thx

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jhfishn

Hopefully they will arrive today ............ Rob at Ludlow Guitars really took care of this deal inspite of the storm up there!

Real good guy to deal with ............. at any rate ... once installed I will post what I find :hyper:

7. jhfishn

They have arrived!!!

And they are built solid!

I'm going to try to install them tonight and see what happens.

8. Highpost

Highpost

I gotta check the website.
    But I'll be waiting for your review and some eye candy pics.LOL

9. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Would love to hear how this turned out. I have the Neopunch pickups in my Lakland US Bob Glaub PJ. At first I didn't like them, but they've grown on me. The P pickup is definitely a keeper, but the J is just okay. I'm leaning toward a Nordstrand NJ4SE in the bridge position and keeping the neck pickup the same, but the Aguilars have my attention as well. I'd love to hear some thoughts!

10. Highpost

Highpost

I think I saw he put them up for sale?

11. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

I think this sums it up. NJ4SE it is.

12. ntenny

ntenny

It'd be nice to hear more details about his experience. After having the 4J-HC set in my Jazz for a while, I'm kind of lukewarm on the bridge pickup (I love the neck, though), and it would be nice to know if my experience is typical or if I got a bit of a clunker.

Mine is much lower-output than the neck pickup---I know that's usual, but to me they sound unbalanced compared to other J pairs---and the tone is a bit bland. It's not objectionable, but I wish it had some more pop in the upper mids. If the OP is still around, does that kind of match with your experience?

-NT

13. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Disclosures:
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    I have no doubts that this will be a good review.

14. fourtet102

fourtet102 Supporting Member

Hey guys!

I'm thinking to drop Aguilar PJ set into my Warmoth but I can't find any reliable review. Any news through this thread?

Thanks!

15. Highpost

Highpost

I'm still waiting too

16. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

Anyone have a review to post on these yet? Doesn't look like much has been said or written about them so far.

17. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor

So Aguilar put together the PJ set, does the P and J interact well together? I would think this set would have phasing issues unless the P and J were wound for matching pair. I ordered the set anyway because I've had nordies, fralins, aguilar, dimarzio and liked the aggies best in a std. jazz bass. I have never tried Aero, Barts, Delano, so my opinion is limited. Does anyone have any feedback about the Aguilar PJ set?

18. bassclef112

bassclef112

I have a set that I bought last year in a Warmoth and I love them.

Aguilar clearly thought this P/J thing through. The J is hum cancelling so you can dial in any amount of either pickup totally noise free. The output of the J compliments the P extremely well. It also sounds very robust as opposed to tinny and thin like some pairs do, particularly if you try to wing a combination on your own.

They can be very bright, but rolling off the highs gets very solid, robust tones full of girth. With mostly P up, adding the J brings that solid punch to the fore. I don't care for zing - I'm a fingerstyle player and I don't slap. They really sit well in the mix - clear with all the support you'd expect.

I am very pleased with them and recommend them to anyone wanting an excellent P/J set. FYI, I'm running them passive, V-V-T and have no desire for a preamp. They provide everything I need - great tone!:D:D:D

19. Eublet

Eublet Supporting Member

FYI, the video below is pretty recent, and towards the end there is some good time spent going over the P/J set that you can listen to.

I've not tried the P/J myself, but I have the Aggie P in my Fender 70's Precision bass and it is fantastic. It has just the right balance of mids and highs, and isn't overly bottom heavy which allows you to roll the tone way back if you want without things getting too muddy. It's a great pickup.