1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aguilar Pre amps

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by 5strings5senses, Jan 25, 2013.

1. 5strings5senses

5strings5senses

Whats the best Aguilar pre amp to put in a modern jazz bass 4 string? is it the OBP-1 or OBP-2.

2. line6man

line6man

Personal preference. There is no "best."

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The OPB-1 is boost-only, with highs control around 4 KHz; the OPB-2 is boost and cut, with highs at around 6.5 KHz.

Boost and cut is more versatile, but some people like the Sadowsky-style boost-only EQ.

4. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

I have an OBP-1 in a single-pickup instrument. The pickup is near the MM sweet spot - which is to say, it's not too close to the bridge, and it's not too close to the neck. For that reason, the unboosted sound is pretty mid-rich. In that scenario, I think the 2-band boost-only works pretty well.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 5strings5senses

5strings5senses

OK cool. So the OBP-3 wouldn't really do well in a 2 pick up 3 knob jazz bass?

7. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Nobody said anything about the OBP-3. You'd have to use stack knobs on the Jazz plate, but other than that, the OBP-3 should work well for a Jazz.

Or was that a typo?

Basically, you need to choose whether or not you need to be able to cut as well as boost. If you do, then you've eliminated the OBP-1. Then you need to decide whether you want two-band (OBP-1 or OBP-2) or three-band (OBP-3).

8. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

I've used several 3 bands, and to be honest, I've come to wonder why. If you consider the mid as your 'baseline' (pardon the pun) you can add or subtract bass/treble to it. If you add 25% bass, 25% treble and 25% mid, what have you accomplished other than increasing the gain? Isn't that what the volume control is for?

9. 5strings5senses

5strings5senses

True I was just asking because of how many knobs I have, because on the modern its on neck volume, blend and master tone. But I want something thats going to cut through, so I guess the OBP-2 wold be the best option seeing as I don't have a stack knob.

10. Mr Guy

Mr Guy

Tone Hammer pedal. All the features and more, works with all of your basses too, not just one. Can make a J incredibly punchy (or whatever you need really).