Aguilar SL112s

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by sam304519, Mar 20, 2014.

1. sam304519

sam304519

Hey guys! I've always been a fan of this site but have only just joined, so still kinda getting used to how it works - I hope I'm posting this in the right place!

Anyways, I've recently ordered the Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 and it's on its way, but I haven't yet decided on what cabs to buy! I'm really leaning towards the SL112s (two of them) but before doing so thought I'd get some advice!

Firstly, does anyone have any experience using these cabs? I've always wondered how loud two of them with a TH500 would sound. I play in a funk trio and a 5 piece band (sometimes 6) and wondered if these have what it takes to keep up with that kind of volume? I really like the portability of the cabs and that is a huge selling point for me as I'm sick of lugging round my huge Trace Elliot combo.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Sam

2. The Mouse

The Mouse

How do? There are few opinions on these cabs to be found on the net or elsewhere. I use 2 SL112s with a TH350 and always have enough onstage volume even with a loud 8 piece soul band. They sound great, are surprisingly bulky for 12s but are indeed light. My next purchase will be a TH500, not because I need the headroom, but because I can.. I'd say go for it, I genuinely love my 2 SL112s.. Hope this helps!

3. Nikus

Nikus Supporting Member

I just literally got two DB112s (one with tweeter and one without) along with TH500. LOVE 'EM! I heard here on forums that there is a difference between DBs and SLs, but the concept is pretty much the same: TH500 with 2 x 12" cabs from Aguilar = awesomeness! You will love it. I had an Ampeg Portaflex rig for few months but am now so happy I switched and even though I liked the sound of the Ampeg, the TH blew Portaflex PF-500 out of the water in terms of power, IMHO.

Hope this helps a little.

4. sam304519

sam304519

Thanks guys - exactly the sort of answers I was looking for! I've only ever really seen positive reviews on these cabs but never much written about their volume, I think I'm sold now!

Thanks again

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. KJung

KJung

I love the TH500. I've never played the SL cabs (love the DB's though). They seem to get mixed reviews on TB, so do a search. For about the same price (I think), you could get two Bergantino CN112's, which sound amazing with the TH500. I have not directly compared the SL's and CN's, so maybe someone can chirp in who has played them both.

The CN's are warm and punchy and really bring out that nice organic upper midrange from the TH500. Nice growl and a bit of grind. The reviews of the SL suggest a bit more of a scooped, modern tone.

I use the TH500 and a Bergantino CN212 (very similar to the CN112 x 2 stack). Has plenty of volume for a moderately loud funk/rock gig. Think of typicl 410 volume.

7. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    CN112 >> SL112

Owned both. SL112 is light but bulky as noted. Also IME they sound great at lower volumes, but struggle a bit when pushed hard (especially if you're only using one). CN112 is smaller, way easier to carry, and has more oomph and focus.