1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aguilar Soapbar Pickups?

Discussion in 'Roscoe Basses' started by LightGroove, Jan 27, 2013.

1. LightGroove

LightGroove

So Ive been patiently waiting for the review of the new Aguilar Soapbars and saw Roscoe installed a set. Just curious if Gard can shed some insight/ thoughts on these pickups. I realize they dont hit stores til March so wasnt sure if theres some kind of Gag order in place ...

Also will these be featured in Roscoe's going forward?

2. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    No gag order at all, I thought I'd put a few thoughts in the thread with the bass....however, to directly answer:

They sound GREAT! Clear, full, even. Nice presence without being honky or boomy.

They're not 10000% perfect, but they're damn good, and the little niggles I have about 'em I'm going to share with Aguilar directly before they release them in the wild - they're small questions/ideas/comments, and I'm positive that they will be quickly resolved or explained.

:)

Once they're available, I believe we will be offering them as an option - as we already are starting to do with the 4/5J HC and 4/5 P pickups.

3. LightGroove

LightGroove

Very cool..so would you put these closer to the realm of Bartolini CB's or maybe a Delano then?

Im intrigued and i bet they will match well with their pre.

Any thoughts on the Jazz pups?

4. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Haven't heard the Delano HB's, so I can't compare, but yeah, somewhat like the CB's.

The J's sound VERY vintage, but no 60 cycle buzz, so I like them a LOT.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

I'm thinking about swapping the pups and pre on my SKB (the one with "issues"). I am leaning towards Roscoe Barts and either a Bart pre or maybe a Pope. So, should I maybe wait until these Aggie pups hit the market?

7. Gard

Gard

Disclosures:
    Well, it really depends on where you're trying to take your tone...the Aggies are a bit edgier sounding than the Roscoe Barts....if you want fat/warm, go with the Barts, if you want clear/bite, the Aggies might be a good choice.

:)

8. eo.

eo.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar, Roscoe, Tech21
    I'm looking forward to trying them out too. Everything I've heard puts them between the roscoe barts and CBs tone-wise. I'm really curious about the soap singles as well and will probably give those a go first.

9. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Well, as I am getting to know the bass I find that the Nords have a fantastic mid-range presence but, the highs sound very dull. I know that is simply a characteristic of dual coils and boosting the treble fixes the problem however, I prefer to run everything flat and use the EQ for tweaks here and there.

Now, when I'm in single coil mode all those highs come rushing back. But, I much prefer the single coil tone on my JM so, I don't mind loosing the tap switch on the SKB.

So, basically, I don't want to loose the punch of the Nords but I want a little extra sizzle up high.

10. LightGroove

LightGroove

Joel have you tried Bart CB's? You are describing them fairly well . As far as pres I have a Delano 3 band in my bass right now and love it. Not sure how I would compare it to others but all knobs are very useable

11. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Supporting Member

Media:
    My thoughts, too. Describes my CB-loaded Century pretty damn close.