1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aguilar th-500 vs aguilar ag-500

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by bouns, Oct 27, 2013.

1. bouns

bouns

Hi I have the opportunity to get a used aguilar ag 500 (the one with 2 channels, or to buy a new th 500. Which one can give me the deepest and warmest basses? Which one is the most versatile? Can the th 500 give me the same clear tone as the clear channel of the ag 500? On the otherside can the overdrive channel of the ag produce the same warm and growly tones that you can get with the th ? Thanks

2. KJung

KJung

Both are class D heads (not that it really matters). I never liked either channel of the AG but LOVE the TH (others feel differenty).

The 'clean channel' of the AG was always a bit harsh up top to my ear, and a bit blurry down low. The TH is a bit more like the DB750.. warm and fat and very organic up top, but with lots of midrange articulation and presence. Nice tonal combination. In no way, however, will the TH give you some of the really massive snarl and distortion of that 'dirty channel' of the AG though... kind of different things.

Volume will be about the same. I guess I would say that if you need it cleaner and brighter than the TH, there are better options than the AG for me, and if you want lots of different distortion options, there are many pedals that you could put in front of the TH500.

Pure IMO there. The heads are very, very different, and most have a clear preference. I love the uber lightweight, BIG low end and punch, and rock solid build quality and performance of the TH500. Also, the best soft bag on the market to carry it in. Really nice if you aren't looking for super clean, super crisp.

3. RS

RS Supporting Member

+2

4. bouns

bouns

Ok thanks! Punchy warm and fat: That's the sound I'm looking for!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Way different heads. The TH is warm and almost dark to my ear. Tough to make it sound bright. The AG is more of a typical modern tone. Both are plenty loud. I like both. I have a TH now but would have no problem gigging an AG again