Aguilar TLC comp distorting.... ideas?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Mar 13, 2011.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
    So I grabbed a TLC last week for a sweetheart price and was really really happy with it... until I used it with my Lakland 44-02...

Up until today I had only been using it with my passive jazz... after I plugged the Lakland in I got a really unpleasant distortion you can't mistake for anything other than overloaded transistors.... I do not boost anything on my Lakland, in fact I usually never touch the onboard preamp except every once in a great while when needing to make on the fly adjustments for weird rooms or stages... if I disengage the preamp and run the bass passive, the problem disappeared... but if the pre is in the aggie distorts regardless of settings. Tried a fresh battery, no change.

Any suggestions?
  2. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist and MI Professional... see profile
  3. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Swap it for a Maxon CP-9 Pro? It runs at 18v internally for higher headroom, although I hear one drawback with this pedal is that it's louder than unity gain no matter how you set it.

I had distortion issues with my Diamond comp until I ran it at 18v. A higher voltage through the TLC could either work wonders, or fry it. Definitely check with Aguilar first!
  4. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye

I use my TLC with active and passive basses. I have no distortion issues. Does this occur regardless of where your settings are? Possibly a defective unit. They are nice pedals and worth having repaired, IMO.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. fitz420

fitz420 Knows Lows Supporting Member

yeah, my guess would be a defective unit as well. i tried one with my loud active bass and noticed no distortion.
  7. NortyFiner

NortyFiner

I have an Aguilar TLC, and an active Ibanez SR505. I get no distortion when I use the two together.

This probably already occurred to you, but if the distortion is there ONLY when you are using the Lakland on active, it might be your preamp and not the pedal. It's just a thought, anyway, before you go blaming the pedal outright.
  8. GhettoBrassGuy

GhettoBrassGuy Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull, Lakland, Aguilar, Mono Cases, JH Audio
    Yep...I use mine with all my basses, including a 55-01 with Audere Pre and have no distorting.
  9. CJBass

CJBass

I have this problem with two units, with my active basses.
  10. RiXx

RiXx

Same problem with my G&L L-2500... I wish someone from Aguilar will see this post and give us some explaination...
  11. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

It's probably a headroom issue. I've been through a lot of bass compressors (including the TLC) and most will have this problem depending on your settings and playing style.

The only two that i've never had a problem with are the Maxon CP-9Pro+ and the Daring Audio Phat Beam. I'm sticking with the Phat Beam because it's got a lot more control than the Maxon for around the same price. Daring Audio are good people, too.
  12. RiXx

RiXx

So is it possible to run the TLC at 18V to improve the headroom, without blowing it?
  13. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

mmmmmmmmmmmm I would send a letter to Aguilar about it. I myself know very little about this kind of stuff. Not saying you can't or downing the credibility of anyone but Aguilar would know best. And they will get back to you.
  14. JoelFT

JoelFT Supporting Member

Does your preamp have a gain control? If so you could try turning it down. The only time my TLC distorts is when I turn the bass and mid all the way up on my Roscoes (I almost never do that).
  15. RiXx

RiXx

If I remember well, the distortion occurs even when my bass is set to passive mode, but i'll come back with the result...
  16. RiXx

RiXx

In passive or in active mode, my TLC distorts. The best solution i found is to limit my L-2500's output volume to about 80%.
  17. Bakkster_Man

Bakkster_Man

Is anything earlier in the signal chain that is causing you to drive it too hard? Is the other bass putting out more low frequencies and increasing the electrical amplitude and power for the same apparent volume?
  18. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

does the distortion occur on battery power and with an ac adapter?
  19. gillento

gillento

not true!
  20. RedMoses

RedMoses Supporting Member

Check your battery in the pre amp!
  21. caeman

caeman The Root Master Supporting Member

It sounds like you need to lower the signal strength, maybe with an EQ or volume pedal.