1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Aguilar TLC Users: What's your setting and what do you use it for?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by el murdoque, Feb 14, 2014.

1. el murdoque

el murdoque

Hi,
    since i'm fairly new to compression pedals (i did my fair share of reading ovnilab) i still somehow struggle to put the TLC compressor to good use. My other pedals are two OD's.

Initially i thought that i'd use the compressor to kill dynamics and get a fattened tone for stuff like playing 8s or 16s with a constant volume. I thought that setting the threshold quite low (turned clockwise very far) and the compression to 1:infinity and the attack to the fastest setting will get me there, but that will give me the dip and swell kind of tone which is nice, but not useful for playing fast notes.
    Is that achievable with the aggie pedal ?

What settings do you have and what is the desired effect?
    My problem is that a compressor works quite subtle and the aggie does not indicate whether compression is applied or not and my bandmates do not have infinite patience when it comes to the bassplayer tinkering around with his pedal.
  2. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Supporting Member

This is not the pedal for extreme settings unfortunately. It's pretty transparent and subtle. I use it mainly to run behind an envelope filter or with my GR synth as a peak limiter. Look up ONVI LAB - lots of info and very accurate IMO.
  3. el murdoque

el murdoque

i read it up on onvi lab already. What settings do you use for peak limiting?

Is it possible to use the TLC to achieve a fixed max vol after some OD pedals?
    I have one pedal for a dark and slightly gritty sound with a midscoop and one pedal that's set to a more aggressive sound and like to combine them, but when i hit both, i get too loud, the darker sound OD has a higher output setting due to the midscoop.
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well there's the review but there's also the FAQ page. ;)

It can keep the levels of the od's more consistent, however it (along with most other comps) will probably dull and soften the od tones, so you might not like the resulting sound.