Aguilar TO 500 thru Ampeg 4410 H and DB112NT

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lilcrate, Feb 12, 2014.

1. lilcrate

lilcrate Supporting Member

I already have the TH500 and the DB112NT. I found a pretty good deal locally on an Ampeg SVT 410HE. It is 8 ohms and 500 rms watts. Everything seems like it should work from what know.

Is there anything I'm missing? Any reason why this wouldn't work or would be a bad idea?

edit: title fail : (

Did it on my phone and didn't pay close enough attention to auto correct.

Should read "Aguilar TH500 thru Ampeg 410HE and DB112NT"
  2. lilcrate

3. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

The head into the DB112 alone will sound great.

The head into the 410HE alone will sound great.

Together, who knows? It might sound fine, you might have major mismatch issues, as those are very very different cabs.

Be careful, you'll be driving the 112 much harder than the 410. Use your ears and don't blow out the 112.
  4. lilcrate

Thanks for the feed back. I don't think I will be turning it up entirely loud, but with the TH500 being 500 watts at 4 ohms won't it only be pushing 250 watts to the 112 which is 300 watts?
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've played the SL112, and while I wouldn't say 300w is unrealistic, that's the maximum, and 200w is probably closer to the realistic mark before it starts farting out.
  6. lilcrate

So I'm thinking what you are getting at is by the time I start pushing the Ampeg 410 the Aguilar will be topping out due to the wattage imbalance?

I guess I feel like the DB112 being pushed somewhat hard (but not to it's peak) and the Ampeg being pushed just a little bit compared to what it's capable of will still be pretty darn loud. Am I off there?
  7. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

The DB112's can take a lot. I've never cranked my th500 into a single, but I've had the master up to 3 o'clock. As long as you're careful with the bass, it's fine.

If you like the DB112, save your $$$ and get a second DB112 (with tweeter.) It's more likely to sound better than the 112/410 combo. If you're not happy with the DB112, then try/buy the Ampeg cab and use them separately.
  8. lilcrate

I actually have 2 DB112NTs. I guess I'm just wanting something a little different and was thinking one 112 might fit nicely with the 410. I have been wanting to get a cheaper Ampeg head to try out too, so maybe I will just have two separate rigs for a bit.
  9. kai_ski

kai_ski Supporting Member

OK, well can't hurt to try it out.

I seem to remember Justin Meldal-Johnsen saying that for a "bigger" sound, the DB112 and DB115 are a killer combo. Wouldn't mind trying that out if I ever need a bigger rig than the 2 112's