Aguilar to Ampeg Question

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by ETThompson, Mar 8, 2014.

1. ETThompson

ETThompson Supporting Member

Hi

I have a great Aguilar rig right now that I love - A Tone Hammer 500 and 2 SL112's. However, I want to eventually get an Ampeg CL + 8 or 410 rig for those big shows and well because I just love the classic Ampeg sound like so many on here. I would definitely keep the Aguilar rig for practices, smaller gigs, and for anytime I don't feel like hauling weight.

My question is: can I "mix" these rigs and if so has anyone done it here? Ie, put the Ampeg head with the SLs, or the TH head with the Ampeg cab? If so, which do both combos work well? Since I have to save up for all this stuff, I have to prioritize - which one to get first?

Thanks, Eric
  2. husky123

husky123 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Yes, you could mix all day long. An SVT on your (2) SL's would be at 4 ohms so it would be happy. The SVT can be run at 8 ohms (controversial subject) also. The Tone Hammer 500 will sound amazing through an 810 (from experience). Aguilar, IMO, has gone after the Ampeg tone but in a modern way.

The TH500 (and most micros) is only stable to 4 ohms, so if for some crazy reason you wouldn't want to add any of your SL's to your 810 if running the TH5.
  3. TXLawDawg

TXLawDawg Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

After gigging a TH500 and two SL112s for a couple of years, I too craved for that classic Ampeg sound. I didn't want all of the weight though so I went with an Ampeg V-4B reissue and two of the SVT210AV cabs. Definitely the classic tube amp and sealed cab Ampeg tone in a much lighter and compact package. With that said, the V-4B sounds excellent with the SL112 cabs. Prior to selling my TH500 (I ended up getting an Ampeg PF500), I had played it through a couple of 810 cabs, including an Ampeg, and it sounded great as well.

So, I said all of that to say, yes, the gear will sound good mixed together.
  4. ETThompson

Thanks everyone for the comments so far! Any opinions on which to get first - head or cab?

husky I do agree that Aguilar is going for the Ampeg tone in an updated way, and it succeeds really well on that front. I'm very happy with the Aguilar tone - just have also always really loved the classic SVT sound.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I would get the cab first myself. It's cheaper and the TH will sound quite good through it. Not SVT good, but it's a micro with a lot of Ampeg vibe to it IMHO. Not exactly, but you can tell Dave B is a fan of the SVT. If you can swing the Heritage 810e, that IMHO is THE cab to get. The regular 810e's sound really good, but the Heritage is noticeably better.
  7. bluesdogblues

bluesdogblues

Media:
    Albums:
    Just would like to add..
    Aguilar are good amps & cabs..but...

If you like SVT sound,..nothing beats the real thing (SVT + 810)..
    for me anyway :)
  8. ETThompson

Thanks Jimmy M. I am hoping to get the Heritage series for both if I can...part of why I need to do them one at a time.

bluesdosblue, I agree, but there are situations where the Aguilar will be right I think, both for practicality but also for sound.
  9. ETThompson

I was going to do the cab first, but I just a screaming deal on a Heritage SVT head - used at Guitar Center, in good condition, for exactly 1/2 of the new street price, with shipping included! Waiting for it to arrive so wondering if people here have experience with this combination - the SVT head with 2 SL112s as the cabs. Can't wait to try it, though I am also going to save up for the Heritage 810.
    JimmyM and TurkeypillSLEEP like this.
  10. bassguy72

bassguy72

Dude your gonna love that head
  11. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Other than the rig looking funny I think it's going to sound great. Especially if you love the tone of the SL's already.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Good choice! Enjoy the head...sounds like a tremendous deal!

Almost forgot...now I've never done an SVT into two SL112's, but I have played through one with a TH500 before and I would really question their ability to take an SVT cranked up into the red. You might get a little crankage, but that's it. For clean tones, you should be cool, though.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    rodl2005 likes this.
  13. ETThompson

OK, good to know. They do take quite alot from the TH though... but maybe the SVT is different...
  14. ETThompson

OK, good to know. They do take quite alot from the TH though... but maybe the SVT is different...
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well watts are watts but an SVT can put out over 600w on peaks. I've heard of it being as high as 700w depending on how finely tuned it is. I don't know how much reserve the TH500 has, though, but many micros do have less wattage available past the RMS for peaks. I think it would be close at any rate, but I'd hate to err on the wrong side.
  16. ETThompson

Jimmy M, I will always defer to your Ampeg knowledge!
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I'm not infallible ;) but thanks!
  18. ETThompson

Well, F%&$* Guitar Center. What I received today was *not* a Heritage, but a plain old SVT-CL. So not much of a screaming deal. They first tried to say they'd give me my money back, but I have a receipt which states "Heritage" and I'm going to push really hard to get what I paid for. They do have another one on their website - but for quite a bit more. I"m going to post on this in the main amps forum - wonder if ppl have experience with how to make them stand behind their deals...
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    That sucks. I really don't know of anything to do except threaten to go over their heads to corporate if they don't honor the deal.
  20. rodl2005

rodl2005

FWIW... I use the TH500 mainly when the load in/access is poor and taking my 300w tube amp is a hassle.
    You're gonna love the SVT there ain't nothin like 6 x 6550's
  21. ETThompson

Yeah, it is really cool to be able to play an SVT. That is taking the edge off for the moment.

All the things I remember loving about it when I first played my '73 P through one - the musicality, the unbelievable foundational bass-ness, the legibility of the notes, the top end (if you want it) without losing the bottom - wow.
    JimmyM likes this.