1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 vs TC Electronic Staccato

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by dbamta, Oct 13, 2013.

1. dbamta

dbamta

Any experiences with Aguilar Tone Hammer 500 vs TC Electronic Staccato?

2. baytas

baytas

I tried both when I was shopping for a head. I ended up picking the Staccato, largely because I found a used one for a good price. Had I gone with the Tone Hammer I would have paid more and had to carry it from Sweden to Turkey while backpacking.

I played Warwick, Music Man, Alembic and Fender basses through the Tone Hammer and an Aguilar cab in a shop. I was able to dial in some very warm and musical sounds.

I especially liked the way it brought out the characteristic "growl" of a Warwick Streamer Stage I. With the neck-thru bass with P/J pickups through this amp, it was easy to approach sort of a Victor Wooten sound and feel.

Overall it felt and sounded really smooth and warm while maintaining clarity. I also like the minimalism and compactness of this head (although it could benefit from another 2 bands of parametric EQ). If I could find one in Istanbul for a good price, I would have gotten the Aguilar.

For more info on the Staccato'51 you can check out my post here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f15/t...mesa-boogie-standard-powerhouse-2x10-1022387/

3. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

What is the point of this thread ?
    Didn't you already buy the staccato amp ?

4. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    The plot thickens! :eyebrow:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. darius8

darius8

dbamta asked
    baytas replied

And Jeff Scott went to get popcorn

7. dbamta

dbamta

I already own a staccato and i considering replacing it with an Aguilar Tome Hammer. The Staccato seems to get lost with large gigs.

8. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Oh, my bad... I read the first and second post as one. Mia culpa ;)

9. caligula

caligula

Mr Smart-Ass entering the room...
    "It's mea culpa"
    ...leaving the room. ;)

Can't really comment on the OP's question as I don't know the Staccato.
    The Aggie TH 500 however is a great, great amp. Depending on personal taste it's almost impossible to go wrong with that thing (IMO).

10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBASS - PlayBASS! Supporting Member

NEOhio - lightweight but extremely powerful!
    No need for the popcorn, it turns out he's talking about a different amp, altogether! :smug:

:D

11. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

Yep lol... Thanks Mr. Perfect ;)

edit: taken from wiki; In the popular vernacular, the expression mea culpa is an admission of having made a mistake by one's own fault (one that could have been avoided if the person had been more diligent). I thought it was pretty good... ha ha...

I would agree, my TH-350 has been meeting all my gig requirements lately and even at 350w no chance of getting lost on stage or in the room without PA support. If I had the extra cash at the time I would have gone the TH-500.