1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Aguilar Tone Hammer rack mount

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Sep 8, 2012
    I was wondering if anyone has rack mounted there Tone Hammer 500?

2. XRYDER

XRYDER Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I'd been thinking about this. As you may already know, Aguilar don't make ears for the TH500 (I asked them!). However, based on the dimensions of the TH, I think you could use MarkBass LMII ears. The LM is fractionally wider, but I figured if you use automotive double sided tape (this stuff is really strong) to mount the ears to the sides of the head, this would shim the difference (and avoid drilling theTH) Then make a couple of wood spacers and tape them towards the rear of the head, top and bottom, between either the rack case (if you are using single space) or other rack components. If this sounds feasible but you need more instructions, pm me for a diagram.

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
  5. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    I see no reason it wouldn't. Google "clamping rack shelf". Odyssey and Middle Atlantic make them. Plain shelves with a lip to keep stuff from falling, and shelves with adjustable padded clamps. To rack mount items that don't have rack ears. I'm considering a LDS cab with rack mount for my Tone Hammer 500. I know there are those that say that defeats the purpose of a micro-head, but hey, it stores and protects it. Keeps me from putting a beer on it, too.

MattyH likes this.
  6. I want to bump this zombie thread to prevent asking the same question, and to see if anyone has actually done this yet.

7. hasanova

hasanova

Feb 24, 2013
    My first post, longtime reader...

I'm bumping this zombie thread. I recently purchased a TH500 and want it in a rack for protection on the road. I couldn't find any info besides this thread on rack mounting a tone hammer 500, so DIY I did.
    The TH sits on a rack shelf and in a 2U light weight rack case. I've enlarged the four holes for the rubber feet, to fit larger screws for the stand-offs. All the stand-offs have a rubber ring for damping vibrations. I'm also considering to put some foam between the shelf and bottom of the case for the same reason.
    For the moment, I leave it like this, but in the near future I will put a black 2U panel around the front of the TH. I hope this leaves enough ventilation for the little head.
    TH500 Rack Mount (front).JPG TH500 Rack Mount (back).JPG

pravus, Munjibunga and arai like this.
  8. arai

arai

Jul 16, 2007
    Looks like you have enough room for a few leads and things around the sides and back

9. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Clamping Rack Shelf. No mods. Tight fit. Plenty of ventilation, room for cables.

image.jpg

Amazon - $45

hasanova, pravus and Munjibunga like this.
  10. ulynch

ulynch Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2010
    Nor Cal
    I've been thinking about these. How well do they hold laterally? Is it secure with just the top rail holding it down?

And thanks to Hasanova for bumping this. I was tempted to just last week, but had nothing to offer except to re-state the original question :)

11. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    Ok so basically here is what it is:

- The picture on amazon shows NO BOTTOM. Just top and bottom clamps. What you get though, is a fully flat bottom, and 2 clamps with padding on the top. So, the head sits firmly on a surface.
    - The 2 clamps on top are adjustable. BUT, they're so incredibly tight as is, you don't have to even adjust it. I took the screws out, put the head on, then put the clamps over it. The screws are all the way at the top of the slot, so there is NO WAY for the claims to loosen or slide. If you take off the feet, you'll have some wiggle room with the clamps. If you leave them on, the fit is so tight it'll never move.
    - Ive used it the last 3 weekends. A total of 8 gigs. The thing hasn't budged, even in the hectic NYC load in.
    - There is also a small lip on the front. You can butt the head right up against it. With the feet on, as you can see in my picture, its a perfect little stopper for it.

I was happy to see that it slid right into place. It says 2 space, but I've come across some heads and gear where its just SLIGHTLY larger, and it throws the whole rack outta whack. Not this.

Also, its not HEAVY, but its got some weight to it. It feels solid. Its not a flimsy shelf. Well well made. Totally worth the $$$.

hasanova likes this.
  12. MattyH

MattyH

Jul 20, 2010
    And yea i agree with the statement that a lot of people see this as negating the point of a micro head. But honestly, carrying this around in the bag, or a carry case, or like me, the box it came in, gets annoying. I use my rack, and having another thing to carry was a pain. Plus id have to sit the head inside or on top of the rack. It was a pain in the butt. Not to mention its completely safe and secure now. I do a lot of crazy load ins and i need my stuff protected!

hasanova likes this.
  13. hasanova

hasanova

Feb 24, 2013
    Nice one MattyH! Looks great.

I totaly agree about protecting your equipment.

I was also thinking about the clamps, but couldn't find a good price in Europe. So I saw the rack shelf I use for $12 online in Germany (my total order was "free" shipping), I had a couple of offset screws laying around, so for that price I don't mind a little modding, haha! I've put a bit of padding on both sides, between the head and case and under the shelf.

foto 2.JPG
    Sorry about the quality of the picture, was very dark on stage.

Edit: I did a Bob Marley tribute with a loud drummer, and a lot of jumping on the little stage. No problems, very secure and solid setup. I can just enjoy playing without worrying about my equiment.

MattyH, Opas and pravus like this.
  14. hasanova

hasanova

Feb 24, 2013
    Yes, more than enough.

When I pack it up, I have both sides of the thick speakon cable connect to the head and the powercable loosely rolled around the speaker cable, so the cables don't bang around while transporting. Very convenient!

15. hasanova

hasanova

Feb 24, 2013
    Piece of foam: top and bottom
    Foam top:bottom.JPG

MattyH likes this.