Aguilar vs. Glockenklang onboard preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by shadewind, Feb 10, 2010.

1. shadewind

shadewind

I'm thinking about replacing the preamp in my Squier Deluxe Active Jazz V with either an Aguilar OBP-3 or a Glockenklang preamp. Which one of these would you recommend? I want a preamp that is as transparent as possible.
  2. bgartist

bgartist Supporting Member

You definitely want the Glockenklang. I have basses with both and the Glock is the most transparent pre I've ever tried.The Aggie does have its own subtle "flavor" and a little boost goes a long way. The Glock is by far my favorite.
  3. shadewind

shadewind

Well that sounds great since the Glock 2-band is also a lot cheaper than the OBP-3 and I only need 2 bands :D
  4. stflbn

stflbn

Aguilar also makes 2-bands.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

IME, the Aguilar sounds amazing in jazz basses so I would go for that one. bgartist isn't joking when he says that the Glockenklang is one of the most transparent pres around, my Sandberg has a Glock 3-band and it's so transparent that the passive and active modes sound IDENTICAL besides the slight volume drop in passive. Personally, I like the way jazz basses sound with a little flavor added from the preamp and the Aguilar has that. The Glockenklang is really for a bass that has an absolutely stellar sound on it's own and you want to bring out the character of it more. Put a Glock in a crappy sounding bass and it'll only be easier to hear the crap, lol. Not that your bass is crappy by any means (Squier fan here) but I think you get what I'm driving at :).
  7. sheepdog

sheepdog

this wasn't one of the options, but also consider an Audere. If not, I vote for the Glockenklang

-edit-

I have the Audere in my MTD (not MIA) and it sounds fantastic. I realize there are other excellent preamps, but as far as I'm concerned, any future basses that get preamps will get an Audere preamp. Plus, their customer service has always been fantastic.
  8. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

+1
    Especially if you're looking for a transparent sound
  9. FunkMetalBass

FunkMetalBass

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: J.C. Basses
    Aguilar OBP-3 onboard preamp through a Glockenlang Bugatti Preamp.

Obviously the best of both worlds.
  10. Bygde

Bygde

I've never tried any of them, but watch Ed Friedlands review of the Human Base BaseX. That preamp is very transparent if that's what you're looking for. Also it has a very high treble frequence which I like.
  11. shadewind

shadewind

I've replaced the pickups with DiMarzio Ultra Jazz 5:s and they sound really great when passive. But the builtin preamp colors the sound so that it's mostly unrecognizable. It doesn't sound bad, it just sounds too... modern.

Therefore I want to replace the electronics with something that just gives me good output and allows me to do small adjustments to the sound. If I want to freak out, I can probably do that with the amp or an EQ of choice when mixing (sound engineer here, often recording my own songs).

An advantage of the Glockenklang is that it comes with all the wiring already done, just solder pickups and output and then I'm done. It even has passive switching out of the box.
  12. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Well there ya go. You want more of what your bass sounds like naturally without any coloring, no? Transparency thy name is Glockenklang :)!
  13. Limeman

Limeman Supporting Member

Why not consider the Aguilar OBP1? Two bands, boost only (sounds better IMO/IME than the 3-band boost cut preamps) and costs about $100. Excellent sounding pre with a ton of tone!
  14. stflbn

stflbn

I put a 3-band Glockenklang is a 90's Carvin BB5 this Saturday. Absolutely amazed by the clarity and transparency of this preamp.

(As a side note... my other basses have Nordstrand, Aguilar, Musicman 3-bands, and one Sadowsky 2-band preamp.

The passive tone option on the 5-knob Glock is a must have in my opinion.

15. shadewind

shadewind

I did go for the 2-band Glockenklang although when I got it, it was broken (it worked more like an onboard fuzz box when turning up the bass knob). I call Glockenklang in Germany, however, and they're sending a new one over that they verified is woking properly to kudos to them!
  16. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Not to go off on a sidetrack, but I'm considering one of these 2 preamps and was wondering if anyone could please describe how much boost the glock pre provides and how much eq power/ability to shape tone/add color that it has (Brian at bestbassgear said the glock is one of the more subtle pres, but the specs indicate a decent amount of plus/minus db, though less that the aggies). I've read that boost and eq'ing are not problems for the aggie, but the aggie may be too powerful and aggressive sounding for what my tastes. I'm having Delano single coil/humcancelling pups put in and think I'd like the ability to go passive sometimes and am not sure the aggie offers any roll-off or tone shaping ability in passive mode, while the glock does. Thanks, DM
  17. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

Brian is right, as is to be expected. He's really good at what he does. I gotta say that the Aguilar definitely has the more tone-shaping "power" so to speak but the Glock could be just what you need there isn't much of a definitive way to tell. Preamps usually only affect tone in very subtle ways when they're flat so either one could probably be an improvement on whatever you may have but there is no right or wrong answer. Out of curiosity what kind of tone are you after?
  18. G RICH 5

G RICH 5

Here's another option. If you like the sound of the pickups in the bass, and just want it "louder"-- get a BBE boosta grande (up to 20 db of clean boost, without changing the tone) I have used one and it does what it says. FWIW, IMHO.

Good luck.
  19. rogypop

rogypop

the best onboard ever made, IMHO
  20. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

I was just up at Brian's place recently and got to try the Glock pre in one of his basses. For my tastes it was amazing. I'm not sold on the ultra high treble eq point, but Brian said that he liked it himself. Anyhow, if you like the sound of your bass already and just want a little boost here and there the Glock is killin. If you want more aggressive tone shaping (bigger lows, punchier lows and sharper highs) than the Aguilar is a great choice. Both great preamps for different applications.
  21. Dee-man

Dee-man Supporting Member

Thanks for the comments.

I like a natural, organic tone generally (I'm putting this on a 5-string I just had de-fretted) and don't expect to be too big a knob fiddler, mostly roll-off or volume boost and minor eq tweaks (I have a Rob Allen with just the volume knob, and other basses just have tone/passive roll-off). That's why I'm leaning toward the Glock. But then I'm thinking that if the Ag is as transparent as people say (even if not as much as the Glock, whatever that means exactly), I can keep the eq flat if I want the sound of the bass more (but still with some slight Ag sound), and a tone of shaping options that the Glock may not have. I was also told about a booster, so I'll have to look into that. Maybe I should just set it up for passive, see how it sounds and choose a pre based on the sound of the bass.

But just to get more food for thought at this point: I'm still not sure if the Ag has a tone control for when you're in passive mode, or if that's a simple modification to add that. Their product info doesn't say and the luthier who's helping wasn't sure. Please chime in if anyone knows.

Thanks again, DM