Aguilar Vs. Mike Pope Preamp

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by EZ9R, Apr 2, 2014.

1. EZ9R

EZ9R

I got a set of Aguilar DCB pups that I want to drop in my Roscoe Century Plus. The logical thing to do is go with the Aguilar preamp. But, I have 2 EB MM Bongos and like the versatility of the 4 band eq and Pope pre has a low mid, high mid option. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks !!!!!
  2. evilgus

evilgus Supporting Member

I've used both and ultimately prefer the Pope, but the Aggie is no slouch and usually cheaper. The Pope is more subtle, but when used live, is really incredible. Plus having the 4-band, plus passive tone, is a really great setup. Maybe if you want the option of a more aggressive sound, go with the Aggie?

EG
  3. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

Sorry, but "the Aguilar preamp" doesn't exactly narrow things down, as Aguilar has several models to choose from... :eyebrow:

Since you are comparing it against the Pope four-band, presumably you are referring to the OBP-3 three band. The OBP-3 has become my favorite rock preamp, and that's of several makes/models that I've tried - including Bartolini NTMB, Audere Pro Z, Audere JZ6D, & Delano Sonar. The OBP-3 has a warm, yet aggressive voice; excellent tonal variety options, and an uber-powerful low end that will kick your ass if you're not careful.

No personal experience with the Pope four-band, but it's reputation is of being top quality - and almost certainly more refined and hi-fi than the OBP-3.

MM
  4. mmbongo

mmbongo I like turtles. Supporting Member

Get the Pope if you think it's worth the extra cash. Otherwise, Audere also offers a 4 band preamp.
  5. Register to disable this ad