1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Ahhh...learning the hard way. Taking one of my 15's back tomorrow.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by TUEP, Feb 19, 2013.

1. TUEP

TUEP

I have found out that the Ampeg B2R Ampe probably is not made for two 15 inch cabs. So I have decided to take one of them back for a refund. About $100 bucks and put that towards a 4x10 cab. Maybe an Acoustic brand. WHo knows. There is a Pawn shop near by that has a old Crate 410 for 129...might look into that.
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Why? What about the tone isnt working? What are the cabs? Matched cabs?
  3. AdamR

AdamR Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: VF Cables
    If 2 matching cabs arent working for you, 2 different cabs will probably be a bigger let down.
  4. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

I gigged a B2R for seven years. It can handle two 15s just fine. Not sure what part would "not be made" for two cabs.
  5. Blankandson

Blankandson

Don't pay the pawn shop what they want. Bargan. You work too hard for your money and they mark stuff up a LOT!

That said. Yes, if two matched speakers don't work for you, two mis-matched ones will sound worse.
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    what cabs? there's no reason two 1x15's wouldn't "work" for an amp unless you have one 8 and one 4 ohm, for example (or even 2- 4 ohm..yikes)

and without brand-bashing too much, i doubt that anything by crate would offer much of a solution.
  7. jungleheat

jungleheat

What does that even mean? Unless the impedence on the cabs is too low when used together (unlikely, 4 ohm single 15 cabs are pretty rare in the consumer market), there's not really any reason you shouldn't be able to use 2 cabs with an amp rather than just one cab.

I don't think you understand how amps and cabs work.
  8. TUEP

TUEP

Sorry I wasn't more clear in my post. The ohms and all are fine. It works as in nothing is functionally wrong. Its just messing around with the EQing and getting the desired tone. I was used to having a 4x10...and with 2x 15's I need to experiment with it more. It is growing on me though...and the more I mess with this rig the more I am liking it.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Phew. I was lost for words at the original piffle.
  10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Then your statement is both incorrect and misleading. Yes, it IS made for those cabs.

You just can't get the sound you want out of that combination of amp and cabs....at least so far.
  11. TUEP

TUEP

Sorry folks I had a few brewskies when I posted earlier. Didn't mean to be misleading. I think right now I am getting the tone I like with the active 5 string bass. Now if I can find it with my passive 4. I was afriad I had to much bottom end with these 15's but now I just need to learn more about EQing the amp with them.
  12. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    You will find you need to change your EQ habits any time you change speaker cabinets.
  13. arai

arai

10s are punchier
  14. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

B.S.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Speaker size has zero to do with tone or punchiness or anything. If it did have something to do with it, then all cabs with speakers of a given size would sound the same.
  16. nysbob

nysbob

Word.

You're going to find that your matched cabs are the way to go. there's nothing wrong with your rig - I'd gig it in a heartbeat.
  17. arai

arai

forgot the smilie
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd worry about too much low mid and not enough highs. I get a lot better bottom end from my 410s than I've ever heard from 15s (except for one). If all 15s sounded like Jim Bergantino's HT115, I wouldn't have any problems with them. But they don't, so I do.