1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

AI Ten2 or Coda question

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by O.A.S.I, Nov 18, 2013.

1. O.A.S.I

O.A.S.I

Hello,

I'm currrently thinking about buying the Ten2 or the Coda, and I feel like it might be what I need for my double bass. The thing is I have an electric bass gig coming up this christmas, where I will need a good rig for EB. It will be typical loud, funky with horns and the whole package.
    I wonder if the Ten2 amp would be able to do the job in this setting, by itself, or if I just use the preamp from the ten2 with another "loud" cabinet. Or maybe the preamp won't work well with a electric? If it's not recommended, maybe buying the coda, is the more economic and durable choice.

I also am fully aware of the MB150, that many praise, and maybe it's better for an DB/EB combo, but I never managed to get the tone I want from one, but I have never been very proficient gearwise..

Thank you
  2. Pat Harris

Pat Harris

The Ten2 is a great doubling amp. Be advised that you won't get the sound/feel of a dedicated bass guitar amp, though. You're not going to move the air or have the tone of a 4x10 cab. If your gig has PA support, I can't imagine ever needing anything bigger than the Ten2.
  3. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Gold Supporting Member

Acoustic Image has completely redesigned the Pre Amp and EQ section of their new versions. So you have the advantage of having separate low and high midrange with the new Ten2. Electric Bass benefits from that, while double bass benefits from having control over the low midrange.

You can remove the head from the Ten2 enclosure, so paring it with a different cabinet is certainly an option.

If you're going to play louder gigs that often the MBS or
    MBE would be a stretch.
  4. Don Sibley

Don Sibley

Try to audition this stuff before committing to either one. IMHO the AI combos are over-priced for what you get and the design (down firing woofer) is problematic.

If you're set on a combo, check out stuff from Phil Jones or Genz Benz. If you open the door to separates you can get a lot more bang for your buck I think.