1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

AI Ten2

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jon3673, Apr 1, 2014.

1. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

I just made an interesting discovery today about the Acoustic Image Ten2!

I don't know how many of you are using the AI Ten2, but I for one have found it to be the ultimate and most natural amplification possible for the sound of my acoustic 5 string upright bass. I have found that, when I have my controls on absolute flat response, it gives me great uniform response right down to my open lo B!
    In addition, I have found that the company, Acoustic Image, will bend over backwards in an effort to help and assist us in keeping our equipment serviceable. These are really nice people!
    For example; I recently found distortion in one of my Ten2s and after I contacted AI to discuss repair, they recommended some tests to isolate the problem. After that was completed they suggested that I simply replace the bad bottom speaker myself and not fool with sending the entire amp back in.
    Well, I ordered the speaker; however, I remembered that I had already acquired an older AI speaker, so I went ahead and replaced the defective one with that one. I simply put the new speaker that they sent me up on a shelf for future use.
    Well, I then took my "repaired" Ten2 out on a gig later that week and was shocked when I found that it sounded AWFUL on stage!!! No depth at all! I hadn't tested it at home because the AI speaker that I already had was one that had never been used, the box had never even been opened! Therefore, I "assumed" (and we all know what that word means) that all would be well.
    As I said, I do have another Ten2, so I took it out for the rest of my gigs and things were OK. I then decided today to put in the speaker that AI had sent and when I opened the box
    I was shocked, because I found a speaker that was using a much smaller voice coil and magnet than I was used to seeing in their older units. In further inspection I also found that the Ten2 uses an 8 ohm speaker, not the 4 ohm that was in everything prior.
    Naturally, now that I have both speakers in the Ten2 at the same impedance, it sounds great!
    Of course, this means that on those rare occasions when I need to use a remote external speaker, I cannot use any of my old AI speakers (4 ohm) with my Ten2. However, I will be able to use any of the older 8 ohm bass cabinets that I have, so maybe this impedance change is a good thing.
    This just goes to prove that there is a lot more to playing music than just knowing the chord progression.

Ain't it fun?

2. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

According to the manual, the Ten2 is a 4-Ohm cabinet, so it makes sense that the drivers are each 8 Ohms--two in parallel = 4 Ohms.

The AI amp head can handle a 2-Ohm load, so you can connect an external 4-Ohm cabinet; I do it all the time. Check your manual.

3. jon3673

jon3673 Supporting Member

You are absolutely correct! My brain was just not properly engaged.
    Because I found each speaker was wired to it's own separate point at the terminal inside the cabinet (rather than bridged on the same lugs), I "assumed" that each had its own path (or individual circuit). The fact that I experienced such a loss in level and imbalance between the speakers when I put in the 4 ohm should have been a big clue that they were in a parallel circuit.
    And, printed on the back panel of the cabinet over the speaker input connector, is "speaker input 4 ohms". So, my older speakers are still useful.
    I had actually forgotten about this, because I never make that physical connection on my amp anymore. I modified my Ten2 so that I don't have to remove the connector cable in order to place the cover on it, as a result I seldom look at the back panel.
    How soon we forget!