ain't nobody by chaka khan (moog or real bass?)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mowmwbass, Apr 6, 2014.

1. mowmwbass

mowmwbass

Hi,

For long time, ain't nobody by Chaka Khan's bass line was recorded with moog and Linn Drum for drums. At that time it was very popular to use those synth technologies. But I listen to the bass line carefully and I realized that it sounds kind of like a P bass. And the bass line is not really quantized either.

Do you think the bass is moog like my original thought? Or is it a p bass?
  2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

It sounds like a typical Moog tone. I don't hear a Pbass in there.
    It has no reason to be quantized, since back then people took the time to actually play synth lines rather than program them.
  3. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Sounds to me like a synth. Bobby Watson was an amazing bass player but have you ever tried to play that line as cleanly as it is on the record? I don't even know if it would be possible...
  4. ERIC31

ERIC31

Synth bass all the way! I love that song too. I don't hear any bass guitar in it the hundreds of times I've listened to it. My vote is for MiniMoog.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mowmwbass

mowmwbass

At first I thought so but I do hear the upper tones that can be similar with P Bass. I was thinking that maybe moog tried to capture P Bass tone.
  7. mowmwbass

mowmwbass

Yes, I really love that bass line from the first time I've heard it.
    I watched some YouTube video and some plays pretty close but not quite. Now it's my dream to be able to play exactly the same as that recording.
  8. mowmwbass

mowmwbass

Yeah it's a great song from top to bottom. So I guess its a moog or mini moog or midi moog. I do hear some similar upper tone that can be played with p bass though.
  9. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

Great track. I just referred it to the DJ at my local hang spot, she's in her twenties and had never heard it. It's in her line up now tho. Killer track!
  10. Jay Q

Jay Q Supporting Member

Definitely synth. My band covers it, and I use the EHX Bass Microsynth to emulate the tone. That line is a workout!
  11. mowmwbass

mowmwbass

It's amazing someone can make this kind of song. It shocked me when I heard it the first time which was in the mid 80's.
  12. mowmwbass

mowmwbass

I think it is even harder to play with electric bass but I think it might be possible if I practice hard enough. Synthesizer can be mono phonic which is kind of hard to do with real bass IMO.
  13. Jay Q

Jay Q Supporting Member

For sure. Getting that line down has been a great exercise in articulation. I might post a Youtube clip of that at some point.
  14. BassLife77

BassLife77

thats Hawk's Moog. I played this every night during my cover band days. wasn't that hard, its just octaves
  15. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Albums:
    moog, great baseline and fun to play.
  16. JimK

JimK

I thought it was Hawk Wolinski; it's his song, correct?
    ...I was not 100%, though, 'cause "Ain't Nobody" & 3 others were studio cuts on the Stompin' At The Savoy live double-album.
    I looked in the liners the other night-
    Gregg Philliganes is listed as bass synth for (IIRC) ""Try a Little Understanding".
    James Newton Howard is also listed as Keys/synths...

In any event, great LIVE album even with the 4 studio cuts.
    :)
  17. dolfinman

dolfinman

Try some palm muting. Use your thumb on the low strings and dig in!
    Its worth learning in advance because if this tune gets called you need the chops.