Airline destroys guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Spectrum, Jan 4, 2013.

1. Spectrum

Spectrum

2. johndough247

johndough247 Supporting Member

Yea just read that story, I hurled a few expletives at the screen, a vintage 335 ain't cheap yo...

3. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

just saw that also.......*tear*

4. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

It's sad but with a instrument that valuable I would have invested in a heavy duty flight case? that looks like the cheap original chipboard case?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The case was heavy duty enough to bend the rail.
    Besides, he's used to have it as a carry on so he doesn't normally need an ATA case.

7. tmdazed

tmdazed

Came in to say this, leave satiated without having to , of course, looking at the damage I am not sure anything short of a titanium case would have saved that poor Gibby

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The case looks inadequate to me.

That's why to every thread asking about airline travel, I respond: NEVER ASSUME YOU CAN CARRY ON. NEVER NEVER NEVER.

Sooner or later some moron will deny you the option, and you have no appeal. None.

Delta is losing millions in publicity value by stalling, too.

9. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    About 10 years ago a baggage handler at Logan Airport in Boston told me to never check an instrument even if it is in a flight case. Better off changing flights.

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

One option for bass players is to pick up a hard case for golf clubs - add padding and put the instrument inside that case in a gig bag. That gives you plenty of crush space. It will get thrown around, but so will a guitar case. And the golf club case isn't very expensive, and often available at used sporting goods stores.

11. Dan55

Dan55 Supporting Member

I've checked a P bass in an SKB44 hard case a bunch of times. Never had a problem.

Dan

12. Spectrum

Spectrum

13. longfinger

longfinger

The follow up is a good ending.

There was a huge mistake in handling somewhere and the guitar was jammed in between a gate and a terminal. The crushing of the guitar case bent a steel beam at the airport. I'm surprised the guitar is even repairable. The case seems to have done a good job protecting the instrument. Things happen. Car accidents happen too. Can't live in fear all the time.

The ending is a good one, and Gibson comes out looking great.

14. overdrivethree

overdrivethree

I'm probably the lone naysayer here...

But unless I'm in a successful group where I'm playing a vintage 335, I would NOT be flying with that sucker. And I think vintage instruments should NOT be museum relics.

The issue is, regardless of whether he could carry on before or not, flying in the 21st century presents too many arbitrary factors to go lugging a $10,000 (but essentially priceless) instrument with you. If you must, spring for a reissue (which Gibson just did for him). But just SMH at this. Yeah, in a perfect world we'd all own vintage gear and take it with us on any airline without worry. But that ain't the case these days.

15. spade2you

spade2you

Agreed. If I had a $10k Gibson, it would be at home, not on an airline.

16. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Thou shall not F*** up the groove Supporting Member

Not exactly the same, but I have some other story for you :

4 years ago, I worked at a company that yielded packages and such (like UPS).
    We had a customer in Belgium (a music store) that ordered a lot of expensive Gibson guitars from one of the biggest distribution centres in Holland. Price range about 3000 - 4500 Euro per guitar. And I expected that my colleagues would treat the guitars with caution... Well, they didn't..

They grabbed the boxes were the guitars were shipped in, threw them on the conveyor-belt and directly after that in the goodwagon were it needed to be loaded in..

Luckily these guitars were protected with styrofoam and wrapped in thick layer of bubble wrap. We never had any reports of broken guitars.

17. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1 nicely put

18. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

I haven't read the article...and I don't need to.

I've posted several times in this forum about the arbitrary and capricious nature of airline accommodations for musical instruments in-flight...and how one simply cannot rely upon any spoken assurances one may receive from them - or even expect any consistent behavior from them - no matter what they may promise. :eyebrow:

The flight attendant(s) at the gate check point, just prior to departure, have final authority on whether or not your prized baby makes it into the passenger compartment...or into the cargo hold - and there's not a damn thing you can do about it.

If you can't afford to buy an extra seat for it, buckle it up and sit right next to it, then the next best thing you can do in order to assure a certain degree of protection (or at least a bargaining position that will compel the airline to buy you a new guitar/bass guitar in case it's destroyed in transit), is to buy & use an ATA-approved flight case - check your instrument at the gate...and hope for the best.

That's it. :meh:

MM