Akai Deep Impact Problems/ Solutions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bassmanbob, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I have an Akai Deep Impact, but have not used it much. The band I'm playing with will be doing some tunes that would allow me to use this effect. In the past, I've notice a couple of problems with this device. Please note that I power it up with the original power supply and use very good cables.
    1. The effect completely cut off any signal to my amp. I checked and double checked all the connections. Once I physically bypassed it by physically disconnecting it from my board, my sound came right back. That happened once, then it started working again two weeks later when I went to check it out again.
    2. Just prior to sound check, I click on each pedal individually, check the sound, then click each pedal off and go to the next pedal. About a month ago, I turned on the DI, checked a couple of my presets, but then I couldn't get the Deep Impact to turn off. I had to bipass it again by physically removing the DI from my pedal board.

I've read some posts about some original cold soldering joints that are "touchy" needing resoldering at a local electronics expert. For those of you who have had this effect repaired:
    1. What do I tell the serviceman?
    2. Did the servicing of this device fix the reliability issues?
    3. Do you still like your Deep Impact or like it more now that it has been serviced?

This effect is now completely off my pedal board, but I'd like to get it going if it can be made to be reliable. I don't need surprises just minutes before a gig.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Wud

Wud

While I've never owned a Deep Impact I've had assorted gear do similar things to me.
    If it's doing what you say, it could well be a dry joint here or there.

Just tell the person who will be looking to repair it for you what you've told us here.
    They should have a simple testing device/method to track down where the dry joints are, if that is the problem.

Have you opened it up?
    If it uses eprom chips as part of the circuit, maybe on has come loose slightly ?

Pressing the chip down to re-seat it might also cure the intermittent problems your having, if one has come loose.

You'd probably want to make sure your suitably earthed before prodding around with things though.

3. eshears

eshears

This sounds very similar to some of the problems I had with my Deep Impact. It's a pretty good guess that it's some broken solder joints. I sent mine to VST (http://www.vstservice.com/), they resolder some joints and sent it back a couple of days later. It has been flawless ever since...this was probably nearly 5 years ago.

4. rodak

rodak

My Deep Impact has a similar problem. Bassmanbob, did you ever get yours fixed?

Mine will intermittently just fail to work when I hit the button - i get nothing, no sound at all. hit it again, and it toggles back to straight sound. Hit it again, and it might work, might not. The LED does light up, so I know the switch is working.

I take it home, hook it up, to a constant signal and hit the button now and again,can't get it to fail. Pull it all apart on the bench, fiddle with all the connections, twist the boards gently, rock the jacks back and forth, it works flawlessly.

I'm very interested in vstservice (thanks for the link!), but I'm just concerned that I may send it off, they'll not be able to get it to fail, and send it back un-changed. It's probably worth a shot, though.

What I really want to do is just get it fixed, sell it on eBay, buy a MarkBass SuperSynth to replace it, and use the difference to bolster the sagging household budget.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bassmanbob

Yes. I did send it to them and haven't had a problem since. I think it was between $100-175 to fix, but I could be wrong.

7. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

How long did it take to do the repair and send it back to you? I have to send mine in and I'm trying to plan accordingly.

8. Bassmanbob

I don't remember how long, but I do remember it being longer than I expected. They want to do a thorough job of repairing it, and they test it for a couple of days after repairs seem to completed.

9. rr5025

rr5025

How much are we talking? Analogman quoted me 60.

10. bludog

bludog Supporting Member

^Mike Piera will do the repair too? I'd almost rather go with him if he can get back to me faster. Good to know, I'll have to inquire over at AM too. Thx