Akai Deep Impact Re-Release?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by larryelwood, Feb 7, 2014.

1. larryelwood

larryelwood Supporting Member

Why on earth doesn't Akai re-release the deep impact?

The AKAI's are going for $1000 now (they were like $150 new i believe). I'd be willing to bet they could sell a few thousand units EASILY within the first 90 days of re-release if it was priced under say $250??

I'd love to get some really good feedback... and when this thread is big enough contact Akai.. Surely they must know how highly that pedal is regarded around the globe. It would be a home run for them.

Please chime in if you'd like to see it re released! Or if you have any insight as to why it's not available and hasn't been for so many years? Maybe we can make some waves..
  2. therhodeo

therhodeo

I've wondered about that and a revamped improved Ion synth. Its not a case of parts availability is it?
  3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    They did not sell well at all. After a while they were not only discontinued, but they sold for blowout prices because the stores just wanted to unload the dead inventory.

Now the Deep Impact is recognized by the few people that really want them, who are willing to pay $1000. But even if it was reissued, there would not be enough people willing to pay $250, or even $199, since the fact is there were not enough people before willing to pay $150.
    gregmon79 likes this.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Yeah, but it's like a redhead. You couldn't give them away 30 years ago either.
    Clark Dark likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    I think the pedal market has changed a lot in the past 10 years. I think they could in fact sell more units now than they did originally, for that reason alone, but also because it does now have a great reputation. I used to own this pedal, but sold it for $500 several years ago when I was in a squeeze for rent. It really was fantastic. The tracking was phenomenal, and much like the whammy, the glitches that it did have were very musical sounding and useful. Here's to hoping they find a way to reissue that bad boy!
    gregmon79 likes this.
  7. David Beers

David Beers

Disclosures:
    Sales, Marketing, Design @ Brimstone Audio
    Here's a tune I recorded with the Deep Impact right before I sold it. The bass is all recorded on one track, with a delay (Boss Gigadelay) set with a very long repeat time and almost infinite regeneration, so the loops fade out gradually. I'm using the Deep Impact and the Whammy the entire track. He lovely singing is by my wife... Thanks wife. :)

www.soundcloud.com/theholographix/electro-generator
    gregmon79 likes this.
  8. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

The pros using them could just put their pic in the ads and Akai would prob double their sales (beyond just the bass-effect-lovers out there like us)

Pino uses one, Stuart Zender too. Between them, I bet half the UK buys one lol

I'd pay $299 if it was done right

Why hasn't some boutique started a clone?!
    Oh that's right, 99% of boutiques only do od and fuzz
  9. bongomania

Disclosures:
    It is a digital processor running proprietary software. Boutique pedal cloners are not experts in reverse-engineering black box software.
  10. bongomania

Disclosures:
    Also, Pino is more known for using the OC-2, and Zender is more known for nothing much at all lately.
    Pimmsley likes this.
  11. ole Jason

ole Jason

Akai has been asked about it at NAMM and they said they have no plans at all to re-release it. They also stated that some of the chips used in the DI are no longer available so it wouldn't be possible to produce more without r&d. This info came from Phil over on the harmonycentral FX forum.
  12. kevteop

kevteop

I don't think there are that many people who want one. I had one for a while just to see what all the fuss was about and it's a decent enough pedal but most of the sounds didn't work for me and it was too big and clunky to keep for the couple of useful sounds I did get out of it.
  13. bassbones2

bassbones2 Supporting Member

….now the unibass….that's a different story…..cant be as hard to make and more people want that one I think.

JB
  14. fheliojr

fheliojr

It's easy: AKAI doesn't want make some money, so the Deep Impact won't be re-released.

I appreciate Mike Bengel's idea of releasing the Tru-tron 3x, the modern Mutron III.
  15. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

However, Muse weren't around when the deep impact was first launched. There's a number of bass playing fanboys that would give a kidney for one.
  16. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification

Fishman did just that with the Fission, and it hasn't sold very well.
  17. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

I think it's impossible for almost anyone on this board to really know how the market would respond to a reissue, because the two points raised are almost unarguably true: (1) there was not a market for it when it was actually available and (2) it has a much elevated profile and reputation at the present date, due to its cult status and its use by Muse, Phish, etc. So while I think those points are true, the resulting conclusions in this thread---both pro and con---are, with all due respect, mostly amateur, armchair analysis that I don't really put a lot of stock in.

The information that some of the components are no longer available and it could not be reissued without some additional R&D is a much more serious issue. And if Akai straight up says it won't be coming out any time soon (if ever), there's not really much reason to think otherwise, unfortunately.
    NuSkoolTone likes this.
  18. adamsmatthewj

adamsmatthewj Supporting Member

Sadly, these are all true statements lol! Nice little TB daydream thread though
  19. wardak

wardak Supporting Member

Had one, sold it a while ago. It did a great job for what it was. Best thing was how easy to use it was and the wide variety of typical synth sounds it had built in... Simply plug in and with minimal tweaking or setting up you're fully into usable synth sounds.

But I think you can achieve similar effects with current pedals. My Line 6 HD multi, with a little work can do a decent portion of the same sort of thing, and with the other features that the HD has built in. That's just one of the things on the market, several other things cover this ground too. I keep checking out the EHX pedals on their site and Youtube. Fascinating possibilities, but not looking to build up a collection of pedals.

I have trouble picturing a reissue to be much of an opportunity for Akai at this point. I also have the Unibass, despite how interesting it is, I plan to let that one go as well. I have to dig it out from my house-move boxes. Good pedals, those are though, I can see why folks like them.
  20. ole Jason

ole Jason

It was 2 or 3 years ago when Phil asked them about it at NAMM and was told they could no longer source parts for it even if they wanted to do a re-release. Akai has always been kind of stupid with their pedal line. Are they still selling the re-branded Biyang crap?
  21. Session1969

Session1969 Gold Supporting Member

Highly overrated.
    gregmon79 likes this.