Akai Unibass output problem... Any advice?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by robbassbass, Feb 12, 2014.

1. robbassbass

robbassbass

Now I have heard that a few people who own Akai Unibass pedals have had theirs crap out on them. Mine seems to be heading that way as well:/ Basically the same issues that I have read about on Talkbass are now happening to me. Weak signal, no output etc... See here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/akai-unibass-big-problem-205407/

The reason I am posting is a desperate attempt to find out if anyone has managed to fix their Unibass when it starts to act this way. I have read a few comments that suggest there is nothing that can be done, and I may as well throw the pedal out. I know it is digital so it may not be easy, but is there anyone out there who has managed to breathe new life into their dying Unibass? Or should I just mourn my loss and get a new octave pedal? (I'm broke so I am desperately hoping that it can be fixed)

Thanks guys!

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, you can try to repair or replace the things that are NOT digital in it: jacks, footswitch, ribbon cables/other wires, and any analog components. There are many things in there that could cause these problems outside the digi processor. Start with the bigger, easier items like the footswitch. Check out the pedal DIY forums for tips on how to examine and diagnose circuit problems.

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

If you need service on an AKAI product - including Discontinued products, these guys are EXCELLENT.

They did an amazing, very involved repair on my Deep Impact pedal, which I thought was beyond repair.

After seeing the unit they will tell you up front what is wrong and what the work will cost.

Definitely call them and describe the problem. If its a known problem that's not repairable, they'll tell you over the phone.

http://www.vstservice.com/t-serviceandrepair.aspx

4. robbassbass

robbassbass

Thanks guys. I am in Australia so I might try a local pedal nerd first, but those VST guys are totally an option. I would rather send this pedal around the world than have to try and find another one.

5. Register to disable this ad