1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

AKG P2 mic for bass

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by boristhespider7, Dec 1, 2011.

1. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Anyone got any experience of using an AKG P2 for recording or playing live, just can't find any reviews on this mic.

Judging by the look of the frequencey curve this is a pretty flat sounding mic in the low end, without the scoop of the D112. Its also pretty cheep (comparable to an SM57), so i'm tempted to get one. Just interesting how flat it sounds or whether it adds much colour to the tone

P 2 - Specifications

2. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

3. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

4. Manndreas

Manndreas

Well it looks like a ok mic from the spec sheet. Never tried it myself, but I'd give it a shot if I ever come across one when I'm running sound.
    One thing to keep in mind: The specs says it's frequency range is 20Hz-16KHz, but the frequency chart starts at 50Hz, so it's hard to say what the response is in the 20Hz-50Hz range if that matters to you.

I found one thread here where one mention the P2:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f43/bass-recording-whats-your-chain-400228/index6.html

Here's the quote from the thread:

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

yep, i did see that and noticed the same as you that the freq chart starts at 50Hz. Thats not a problem in my book as i'm not sure (correct me if i'm wrong :bag:) that the 20-50Hz band is that audible to humans anyway. The 50-100 Hz is pretty flat according to the chart so i was surprised at the quote, should do a good representaion of the lower end, but would be nice to hear frmo someone who'se actually used it

7. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

8. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

wow, this mic really doesn't see much use, judging by the response here?!

It surprises me that the D112 still gets a lot of mention, but is a kick drum mic and scooped, where as this is designed for bass instruments and has a flat profile. You'd have thought it would be more popular

9. Shardik

Shardik

Old thread, but I am thinking of trying one. I like the pretty flat frequency response, which in my book indicates that it is a quite versatile microphone (not especially tailored to a specific response for a specific instrument). It also seems to be able to handle a pretty hefty SPL, which actually can be a problem when miking a kick drum or an instrument amp up close.

10. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Gold Supporting Member

Just picked on up. Haven't put it through it's paces yet.

11. boristhespider7

boristhespider7

Let us know how you got on johnsonabq, would love to hear how you found it

12. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Mine goes gangbusters. See the livesound forum, search akgp2.

13. johnsonabq

johnsonabq Hanging on in quiet desperation... Gold Supporting Member

This is good to hear. My band is still rehearsing so it'll be a little while before the first gig. I've always had issues with how different my bass sounded out of the PA compared to my rig using the DI (even post EQ). Hoping this'll change that.

14. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

I just bought one but I haven't heard the recordings yet. The guitarist has been sick so he hasn't mixed anything. I know Floydeye spoke highly of the P2 in reproducing his rig, which is why I bought the P2 as I have the same rig (SVT through a Fridge)

15. pglaser01

pglaser01

Disclosures:
    If only I were that good....
    yeah I know he has said it really is a great live mic...I actually haven't seen him post anything in here in awhile...

16. Joebarnes

Joebarnes

I think he got banned, which is sad, his take no prisoners approach was refreshing.

Heard a few snippets of the P2 recordings of my rig. Very accurate reproduction of my sound, at least to my ears. I do recommend as I'm pretty satisfied at this point.