1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Alain Caron and intonation

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by zortation, Apr 13, 2014.

1. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

Just curious to know if anyone here shares my view that Alain Caron has a tendency to play sharp when he solos.

:confused:

2. Jaco Taco

Jaco Taco

Don't know as I can't listen to him for more than a minute or so. I find his music to be horribly cliched and unoriginal. It's like "you want crappy fusion? I'll give you crappy fusion!"

3. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Yes, he plays really out of tune. Just because you have a 6 string fretless doesn't mean you should play it in public

4. Feral Feline

Feral Feline Supporting Member

Steve Bailey plays his fretless 6er in public, too... and yet Caron and Bailey still get the gigs.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Glad you brought Steve Bailey up.
    I'm not saying I could do it better but what's that Clint Eastwood line?
    "A man's got to know his limitations!"

7. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Ron Carter has been known to play sharp from time to time as well. I don't think it hurts his career too bad.
    I personally like Alain's playing and was a huge Uzeb fan back in the day.
    Somehow I don't think either he or Steve are staying up late worrying about it! ;)

8. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

Alain sure can sing.....

9. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Intonation can be a very personal thing. There are some players (on various non-fretted instruments) that play notes differently than I hear them, but that's how they hear it.

Steve Bailey and to some extent Alain Caron sound out of tune to me, but I'm willing to believe they hear it that way. Alain in particular is SUCH a great player, but both his tone and his intonation make it hard for me to listen to him. He makes different artistic choices than I want to hear. It doesn't mean he's doing anything wrong.

Ron Carter... Obviously a great player, and a really important part of jazz history. But he just flat-out has poor intonation. It's so weird to me that somebody can be such a good musician and yet be so inaccurate, but hey, he's Ron Carter, and I most certainly am not.

Igor Porto likes this.
  10. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Miles Davis comes to mind here. I'm certain Doc Severinson plays more in tune, but I'd rather listen to Miles personally.

SBassman likes this.
  11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

I love Miles' intonation. I always felt he knew exactly what sound was going to come out, even if there wasn't a name for the resulting note.

Roy Vogt likes this.
  12. somegeezer

somegeezer

They aren't playing out of tune. They're just playing unconventional notes between the usual notes. =]

SBassman likes this.
  13. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    OK, for comparison and sake of argument, who would you say has absolutely amazing, spot-on intonation on fretless bass? The tolerances are so close compared to DB it's definitely a challenge-like playing a highly amplified cello across your lap!
    I would venture Will Lee and Pino, but they're definitely coming from the Session Musician school of thought, not necessarily hanging out on the perimeters going for it. What about Bunny Brunel?

14. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Jaco?

Mark Egan?

Gary Willis?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  15. Marial

Marial They make pills for that, right? Gold Supporting Member

Pino and Tony Levin generally seem to have very, very, good intonation, but no one is faultless. I've never knowingly heard Will Lee play on anything or anywhere other than in Letterman's band, so I don't know about his intonation.

16. gimmeagig

gimmeagig

That's kind of like saying spelling is a personal thing, isn't it?
    I've checked out some youtube concerts with Alain and sometimes he's in tune but often he isn't and that makes it less good for me. He is an incredible bass player on fretted, so seeing some weaknesses just shows we are all human, even guys like him.
    Steve Bailey plays waaay out of tune too much for me besides I don't like the sound of the high C string especially on fretless anyway. Even less if there is (out of tune) chording involved.
    In the old days a lot of the upright players were out of tune in the high registers. Even Eddie Gomez as good as he is, plays out of tune. For some reason that doesn't bug me quite as much. Maybe because I know how hard the upright is to play. Maybe because the sound is darker and not as defined.

17. Roy Vogt

Disclosures:
    Here's something from his new CD-sounds pretty sweet. Kind of reminds me of Marcus Miller on "Could It Be You".

18. Marial

Marial They make pills for that, right? Gold Supporting Member

Tasty! Thanks, Roy!

Though, I have to say, I've never, ever, been a fan of Toots Thielemans-style harmonica. It always reminds me of the beige-est polyester-ist seventies for some reason.

19. keb

keb

Bunny? Jaco? Egan? Willis? All hacks! Look at 'em, they all have LINED fretless basses! ;) And oh my, they're LOOKING AT THE FINGERBOARD as they play!

(I kid, I kid... just throwing some gas on the endless eternal lined vs. unlined debate. Disclosure: I play a lined fretless. ;))

Igor Porto likes this.
  20. nicopiano

nicopiano Supporting Member

I think Alain Caron is a great player even if I'm not a big fan of his 80' jazz fusion style.

21. Maarten Bakker

Maarten Bakker

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Markbass
    Fantastic playing by Will Lee on this track, guys like him and Marcus are imho still way ahead of most "bass heroes". Chops AND taste.