1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Albums to own for a guy interested in jazz and funk?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

I've been playing bass for about six months after six months of guitar and a couple years of saxophone. I have a pretty decent grasp of theory (at least I like to think I do), but I know that I need to listen more.

The problem is that there are so many great artists that have tons of work out there, and its hard to know where to start. Ron Carter, Paul Chambers, Oscar Pettiford, Christian McBride, and all the flashy players like Stanley Clarke, Wooten, and Marcus Miller... It can be overwhelming!

So I turn to you guys to ask the question: If you were to pick any specific album(s) that a serious student should purchase for study and analysis, what would you choose? I have about $65 of iTunes credit left over from Christmas, so give me some music to listen to! I'm mostly into funk/soul (Stax and Motown) or jazz (though I'm not a fusion fan, more like Kind of Blue or Something Else), but I am willing to listen to pretty much anything.
  2. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Accuracy, Carvin, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
  3. Biggbass

Biggbass

Dave Brubeck - Time Out
  4. jefkritz

jefkritz

miles davis - on the corner
    john scofield - a go go
  5. the_stone

the_stone

The albums that Miles Davis recorded for Prestige are a good introduction to Paul Chambers - Cookin, Relaxin', Workin', and Steamin' are great examples of the first classic quintet, as are the first few albums on Columbia that feature the same group. "The Complete 1964 Concert" is a good introduction to Ron Carter's work with Miles' second classic quintet, with Herbie on piano and Tony Williams on drums.

For Ray Brown, any of the Oscar Peterson trio albums are classics, but "We Get Requests," "Night Train," and "The Trio" are my favorites.
  6. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

Just a few suggestions
    - Chic
    - Me'shell Ndegéocello (her first two albums especially)
    - Pleasure
    - The Crusaders
    - Don Blackman (his self-titled album from 1982)
    - Donny Hathaway (the live album ending with "Everything Is Everything - every bass player should check out Willie Weeks' solo at the end of that track)
  7. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

It's interesting: I posted this question here and on another bass forum, and a lot of the answers are listing albums or artists that I would not have thought of as major players or seminal works in the genre. I guess that goes to show that not everyone thinks or learns in the same way, eh?
  8. bassman4d521

bassman4d521 Supporting Member

+1 for this!!!
  9. rootbill

rootbill

Quincy Jones "Walking In Space" or
    Jean Luc Ponty "Cosmic Messinger" might get you going,they did for me.
  10. wrench45us

wrench45us

some recent T Monk releases (I'm sorry I don't have the names -- they're at home) are live recordings from late in Monk's career.

for the bassist what's of special interest is the common format where the bassist takes a chorus playing the walking line and then takes a chorus taking a solo. This was late in Monk's career so it may have been a pickup bassist, but that format is an exceptional education for those with interest.
  11. pfox14

pfox14

Anything Larry Graham has done - Sly & The Family Stone, Graham Central Station.
  12. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

I think you're talking about the recordings LIVE at the IT CLUB, that's Monk's working band - Charlie Rouse, Larry Gales and Ben Riley. It's 64, so not so late in Monk's career...
  13. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

for contemporary jazz-funk: Medeski Martin & Wood, Soulive, Lettuce, Karl Denson, Robert Walters, Dirty Loops, John Scofield's "Bump" or his stuff with MMW (as mentioned, "A Go Go" plus "Out Louder" and "In Case the World Changes Its Mind"), Astral Project, and, on the rock side of jazz-funk, Galactic.
  14. Salamenster

Salamenster

The guy opening my door to (classic) jazz has been Oscar Peterson. Check him out, his DB-players are always the best!
  15. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

Stanley Clark, George Duke and Quincy Jones
  16. Brandon Keller

Brandon Keller

For a wide variety of jazz, funk and fusion check out somehowjazz.com.
  17. dvh

dvh Supporting Member

Could be considered fusion but if you want some serious jazz-funk check out Herbie Hancock - "Headhunters" and or "Thrust".

Paul Jackson on bass.