1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

Alembic Active Cables!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by prockenklang, Dec 19, 2009.

1. prockenklang

prockenklang Supporting Member

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    I was just up at the Alembic factory and got to try out their new active cables!! They are KILLER!!! They are gonna start selling them next month! I tried one with a really crappy Epiphone es-135 copy just for grins and couldn't believe my ears! I ordered one on the spot!!!

John

2. really? What kind of price? Do they look different from traditional cables?

3. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Not sure of the price yet.They look like regular cables except there is a little box at the amp end that holds the battery and some of the electronics!

4. Sound Chaser

Sound Chaser

Mar 19, 2005
    Lockport, NY
    So, how many zeros are we looking at for these? :)

5. Sponsored by:

6. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
  7. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    They should have pics next week!

8. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Oct 9, 2007
    Chicago - LA - Rome
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
  9. onlyclave

onlyclave

Oct 28, 2005
    Seattle
    You know, if these were just down the road at Monster Cable everybody would be screaming "SNAKE OIL".

10. my thoughts exactly

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    So they took a pre and hard wired cables to it.

Well,,,thats great.

until some thing breaks

Something always breaks.

Aj

12. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Tell me about it!! LOL

I can assure you that a cable with an Alembic pre-amp built-in is not snake oil!

13. prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    That goes for everything,not just cables.That being said,Alembic products are very well made and don't fail very often!

14. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    Sounds like it will cost at least $150...

15. If it actually does something to your sound, then at least it's worth something compared to the monster cables that doesn't do a thing (except rob you of the cash difference between one of them and 2 Neutrik plugs and a bit of good cable)

16. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    Alembic doesn't get out of bed for less than 5 grand.:D

17. Jim C

Jim C Spector#496:More curves than Sophia + better sound Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Not a new idea and hopefully better executed.
    20 years ago this product existed and used 4 watch batteries built into a holder with a tiny preamp at the jack; there is a broken one in abox of cables in the garage
    Tons of gain but not the best electronics; still not sure why this would be more useful than a boost pedal left on; also not sure why one wouldn't just buy active electronics if that was the goal

18. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    So Alembic basses have active pickups wired to an active circuit, and now they will recomend "active cables", so you will have to carry a bag of batteries. Screw that! I still have to hear an Alembic that sits in the mix as good an all-passive P bass.

19. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Um...I think you have it backwards. I don't want any product to color the sound coming from my bass.

20. yeah... I'm already confused by people that seem to have 5 different pre-amps before the bass even gets to the speaker, so this seems redundant.

My favorite are the guys that swear by the purity and simplicity of a passive fender style instrument... then have active instrument cables into a sansamp bass driver, a POD, going through an Avalon U5 into both channels of some Mesa Boogie, each being extremely EQ'd.

21. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Supporting Member Commercial Seller Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com