Alembic custom order

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bassdude15, Oct 11, 2013.

1. Bassdude15

Bassdude15

This might seem like a dumb question, and Im sorry if its already been answered somewhere, but can you order a custom Alembic with options that aren't on their website?
    I am specifically interested in a korina Europa bass with a wenge/purpleheart neck with a 2-color ebony fretboard.:help:
  2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

I think they could/would make anything you want, it's only money, after all.
  3. millsbass5

millsbass5

Believe me, if you have the cash, THEY WILL find a way to make it for you. As long as it doesn't compromise their quality standards, which are VERY HIGH.
  4. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties Supporting Member

I have no doubt that Alembic could build something like that very readily. They likely do it all the time. :meh:

MM
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't know if there's enough money in circulation to cover it, though.
  6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Not sure your request would be too big a challenge. They do a lot of customization beyond the listed options. If the 2 color ebony you're looking for is a single piece with light and dark coloration and figuring, that would be macassar ebony. That's an easy option. Also, you aren't forced to order their top of line models for them to customize to order. Other neat options are custom string spacing, fingerboard width and neck depth. If you are interested, call their office - they can answer lots of questions over the phone.
  7. malthumb

malthumb

8. Lennard III.

Lennard III.

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Fodera Guitars , Harvest fine leather bags & straps
    I love looking at the Alembic Club building pages .... but what would make me really really scared to order a Bass from Alembic are the threads of Austin's Classico Upright and 6 String for Austin .... 6+ years waiting time for the Classico the it even took 9 month to deliver it :D and the 6 string was ready for spraybooth 1 year ago and hasn't made any update since then....

but it could also just an extreme version of what could go wrong ;)
  9. bassman10096

It leaves me shaking my head too. But fortunately these are distant outliers. In my experience, Alembic build to order basses generally take no less than 5 months for low and moderate end models and more for series models. It seems like customization that requires the folks to do something that needs skills or designs substantially outside Alembic's (very broad) range of "typical" custom capabilities will sometimes result in designs being passed back and forth till the customer approves. That takes time.

By the time you finish putting together your initial order, you'll feel very well taken care of, and salivating for the day your bass arrives. The Alembic folks make their customers feel like family. If ever waiting for a bass to be built and planning to be in the Bay Area or wine country, the Alembic folks are generally very welcoming to visits (Do call ahead.). I hate to sound so totally partisan - I've heard other custom builders that do a great job accommodating their customers (for the money involved, it's reasonable to expect). But my experiences with Alembic left me with good memories and a pretty clear sense of how my bass was built. To illustrate further, my wife (not generally a fan of my GAS) loved Mica and staff so much that she framed the pics of my family's visit to see my bass during its build.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

Here is where it all happens. :cool:

Image © Jeffrey P. Scott 2007 All rights reserved.
  11. malthumb

malthumb

I'm gonna have to make it a point to get out there one of these days.
  12. bassman10096

The Alembic factory is like Santa's workshop! It's the best gearhead experience I've ever had. When I was visiting the shop, Susan Wickersham handed me this bass,(http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/alembic-gives-away-bass-free-148959/) which was not quite complete. She asked me what I thought of the fretboard inlay (her design) and told me who it was for. Very cool - not in a starstruck way - more like "Oh my God, that's an incredible piece of hand work".