1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.
  2. Search results may return 0 or few results. We are currently rebuilding the search index, may take a couple hours. Thank you for your patience!

Alembic Epic 4 for $1250, should I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6stringvince, Feb 14, 2014.

1. 6stringvince

6stringvince

Available at my local music store. Probably a nine out of 10. Neck is maple I'm not sure about the body wood. Plays great sounds great.
    Not really in the market for a new bass but I do like the looks of this.
    Should I buy this?
    Thanks in advance

2. TurkeypillSLEEP

TurkeypillSLEEP

If you can swing it, then go for it. Probably won't see too many Alembics in that range.

3. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    Is this the one at L&M?

In any case, Epics are not super expensive used. Generally $1000-1500.

You don't see many in the GTA or anywhere in Canada though. If you love it, it is a fair deal, but a Epic 4 is not a $3000-5000 Alembic by any stretch.

Nice basses for sure though.

4. 6stringvince

6stringvince

Nailed it!
    One thing I didn't like is how far away the neck sits, at least in the sitting position, maybe different strapped on?
    My arms are about average length, but the first fret position felt a long ways away, on the bright side the upper register was really easy access.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Arnie

Arnie

Pictures, or it doesn't exist!

7. 6stringvince

6stringvince

It's in a store, not my basement! I guess I didn't play it or even see it then...

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I love the night life, I got to boogie....
    I played that bass. Did they replace the dead strings?

It is nice but I thought the exact same thing about the neck! I don't have TRex arms, but they aren't super long. I had problems getting to the first position as well. I didnt try it on a strap though.

I thought it sounded great though....

9. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

Yes, that's a very good price; depending on the condition (which you say is very good) and the year, which the first 2 digits in the serial number will tell you. I have one; a lefty '94. It was about 6 years old when I got it; being a lefty, and and just at the end of the seller's market period, I paid about twice that for mine. It's my only active bass, and I don't play it a lot ("Love Me Do" and "Summertime Blues" just seem...wrong, somehow..., on the thing), but it is a very nice bass, and the reach isn't a problem for me.

10. 6stringvince

6stringvince

Considering new ones are listed on the Alembic site at $6K, I'm wondering why these have such a big drop in price in the used market? Seems like a really nice good quality bass, yet same age Fenders hold value not far off of new price.

11. Arnie

Arnie

Just think what they paid this poor fool for it..

12. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Alembic tends to build with necks further out of the body than other builders. It can make the reach on a 34" scale as long or longer than a 35" scale. The way I manage this is when I play my Alembics, the neck is at about 1:30 (same as my other basses) but also out a little forward from my body. Shortens the right-to-left reach.

$6,000 is retail list.. Nobody pays retail list. Figure about 70% for a new one from a distributor. Also keep in mind that Epics built before @ 2002 were bought before a number of rather hefty price increases. Used prices on those could be lower than used prices on later ones.

13. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I own 2 Epics, a 4 and 5 string. Great basses. You got a great deal.

14. banikek

banikek Supporting Member

I picked up an Epic about a year ago for $1300. Now normally I am more of a passive,retro looking bass guy; Fender, Danelectro, Hofner, etc. Saw the Alembic hanging in the shop and asked if I could try it since I had never played one before. Honestly it knocked my socks off and I had to take it home. Very comfortable. Easy to play. Great tones. Versatile. Certainly check it out. If it speaks to you then I think that is a very good price. Good luck!

15. CrashClint

CrashClint I Play Bass therefore I Am Supporting Member

Carry cash with you, I bet you can get it for $200 less.

16. Roland GR 88

Roland GR 88 Gold Supporting Member

Go for it ! Looks like you won't lose a dime on re-sale if it's not for you and knowing L&M like we do you could probably make a decent deal at the counter and still return it as a "rental" in a week. Or, do what I do and after you've convinced yourself that parting with $1400 is a "good" idea go out and find the bass you really want instead. :D

17. Liam McMonigle

Liam McMonigle

If you want it get it, but they aren't too expensive used.

18. woodyng

woodyng

Extremely high quality bass for USA Fender price? It's a no-brainer if the bass feels good to you! I've played one,as well as a europa,loved them both. I also really love set-neck basses,and liked the neck shape on the epic.

19. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Well that is retail, their prices are less than that when you actually buy it. Also, high end basses of any make lose a lot of cash, including Fenders. Look at their CS price list and the used market.

20. bassbenj

bassbenj

Actually its not a big drop in price. I paid a little over 2K for mine new some years ago so the current used price for it is pretty much in line with most used basses that aren't considered "vintage" like some Fenders. There was a huge price rise and the used market seems to still be going for the old use prices rather than jumping up to match current prices. I presume once Epics that people have paid 6K for hit the used market then used prices will jump to 3K or so to match what people paid.

To me this says that an Alembic bought at old used prices ought to be a decent investment if you wait for the later price jump in used alembics.

21. 6stringvince

6stringvince

I'm trying ti be financially responsible, so I'm going to pass it up. If anybody else in the GTA might want it it's at L & M Mississauga. Would love to hear from you if grab it