Alembic fever

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sanderic, Mar 15, 2014.

1. sanderic

sanderic

Got my eye on an Alembic Mark King model, used, $4000.00; perhaps the most beautiful bass I've ever seen.
    I did own a Series One back in the mid 80s, do I am familiar with them. This one, the MK, has the Series One body, only without the selector switch, and the five pin cable.
    Here's the dilemma: I would have to part with my American Standard Jazz, my 78 Rick 4001, and possibly my American Standard Precision, although I'm really leaning toward keeping the Precision just because I love it with Chromes ( think early Chicago albums).
    For those who one Alembics, what is your opinion?

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I have a couple of Alembic Epics, a 4 and 5 string. I really like them but find myself playing my Fenders more. I find the Mark King models to be big, bulky and uncomfortable but they do play and sound great.

3. Rogue5

Rogue5

Get it.You won't regret it.I bought my Rogue 5 ten years ago and I'm still amazed by the ease of playability,tone and sheer balls it has.I paid 4K for mine new and don't regret spending all that scratch for such an amazing instrument.

4. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

I too was smittened by this MK alembic currently in the classifieds, Love the look but then remembered the couple alembics I've tried were boat anchors and the electronics were a bit too High Fi for my liking, Currently considering building something similar, just lighter and Bart pickups and pre, Its a beautiful bass though, you should probably get it

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MtJam

MtJam Supporting Member

I have been through many basses. Gibson, Fender, Music Man, Rickenbacker, Sadowsky, Smith, Carvin, etc. I got my first Alembic a little over 2 years ago. My collection now consists of 3 Alembics and a Fender P. I don't really miss all the other basses. Had to keep a P though for some occasions. However, I haven't played it much!

Yes, some of them are heavy and can be awkward, but I love those Alembics.

7. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member

The Alembic is all kinds of good. My only thing is I would not be without a Jazz to get it. YMMV

8. zortation

zortation Supporting Member

I don't own one, but would love an MK Deluxe one day...4 bills is a great deal I say jump...

9. Geri O

Geri O

I just sold a Series 1 4-string because I need 5s for nearly everything I do.

I'd love to have an Alembic sitting my collection of 2 Fenders and my go-to bass, my Music Man Ray.

I'd say get the Alembic and then pick up another Jazz or Precision later.

10. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    If you've got the fever, get the Alembic. That's the only cure. Either that, or more cowbell.
    Keep the P if you can swing it. That's a nice balance to the A.

zomnius likes this.
  11. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie Supporting Member

Media:
    $4000 for a signature seems a bit steep, you can get a used Series bass for that $$$.
    Can you post some pics?

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    All bass players should have the opportunity to own/play an Alembic.

Just like all people who drive should have the opportunity to own/drive a Ferrari.

I've owned a couple of them. Loved 'em, but my musical needs and tastes drifted to simple, passive, vintage tones, so I sold them.

13. bassbenj

bassbenj

I agree. When I fell in love with my Alembic I just HAD to have it. And I've never been sorry. However, having owned it for quite a few years now I have to say the following. These days I don't play it much. It has to do with the music. I find the Alembic fits a sort of narrow range of music. (It's a fretless 6er) Now when it fits it positively KILLS it ! But these days mostly my G&Ls get the action. But the Alembic isn't going away. Like I said, when it fits it fits!

14. apostrophe

apostrophe

I believe that they're very versatile basses altogether.

15. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

I've had three and won't ever let go of my current Brown Bass. Nobody can say if this is a match made in heaven, but the price on your bass is excellent, so the risk is low...
    If I were in your position, I'd go for it.:hyper:

16. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

:::drops coffee, runs to Classifieds:::

17. malthumb

malthumb Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I've had 6 and still have #5 and #6. I doubt very seriously that I'll ever part with either.

#2 (in case) and #4

[​IMG]

#6, #3, & #5....still have #5 & 6...shoulda kept #3

[​IMG]

18. sanderic

sanderic

My thoughts exactly

19. FC Bass

FC Bass Alembic and Mesa/Boogie junkie Supporting Member

Media:
    Watch ebay, many sold between $3500/$4500 in the last years. ;)
    Edit: There's an extremely nice Series I 5 string in the classifieds here for $4250

With used Alembics here are many factors that determine the price:
    When it was build, condition, woods used, electronics, side leds etc.

There's no way of telling what a good price is for the bass in the first post without more info (unless its less than 2000 and you can assume it isn't wrecked)

Don't get me wrong, I think they are worth a lot more and that most used Alembics sell for crazy low $$$ (compared to the rest of the highend/vintage market)

20. lbbc

lbbc Supporting Member

I have a 1986 Alembic Persuader....would never part with it. Had a Rogue 5er several years ago....wish it was a 4, so it was sold

21. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

You should just save up for an Alembic. Letting go of 3 pro level basses for one isn't good, cause then you're down to one pro level bass.

On the same subject, I wouldn't trade my Alembic for 3 basses either.