Alembic FX-1 ques.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by munch62, Aug 17, 2004.

1. munch62

munch62

I have recently added an Alembic FX-1 preamp to my
    setup.I spent 4 sets the other night trying to get a decent
    finger tone.Had the same problem for slap.This made for a
    long night.Should have used the G&K. Heres what what I'm running it though,QSC power,
    amp,2 1-15 bag ends.Any suggestions on settings?

Thanks,
    Jeff
  2. alembicbones

alembicbones

Jeff,

With your F-1X, I would begin with the flat setting of 2-bass, 10-mid, and 2-treble, then tweak slightly from there. I think you'll find this approach will deliver desired results. If you have a low B, I would engage the bass switch. I rarely use the treble switch but you may as it's totally a personal taste thing.

Best Wishes,
    Bones
  3. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

... with the Bass at 1:00, Mids at 8 or 9:00 and treble at about the same as the bass. Both switches in the up position. This gave me a real nice living room sound. If I needed more mids for presence, I dialed them in on my bass or cranked the mids up on the F1X and decreased the bass a bit to my tastes both on the bass and the pre

Try it and let us know how it sounds.

Caveat: I run Epi 12's instead of 10's so I was a tweensie bit lacking in the punch department. But I have a "punchy as you wanna be" Smith 6. So, I am easily able to compensate.
  4. munch62

munch62

Thanks for the advice guys.

-Jeff
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Supporting Member

Media:
    what joshua said
    we have to arrange to meet in mike nunno's shop some time josh :cool:
    the alembic can smoke you until you realize that 2-10-2 is flat, that that only applys when the deep swich is off, and that every time you move one knob it affects the other 2
    once you get used to it you will find that it has a very impressive eq range for a passive unit
    funny how the old leo fender design he stole out of the rca book sounds so darned good after all these years
    btw, alembic sounds so good because they use extremly good components
  7. IvanMike

Media:
    oh, and btw i use bag ends too - the alembic bag end combo rules!
  8. Fred Labbidie

Fred Labbidie Guest

I'm sure you didn't mean to say "stole" from the RCA book. Those books were published to be used by designers for products. Now, Leo may have "stolen" or been inspired on some other stuff....but the RCA book was written to be used.
  9. IvanMike

Media:
    no disrespect to mr fender.............
    damn you josh........... i wanted that cruise bass!!!
  10. duke2004

duke2004 Supporting Member

I have used, gotten rid of, re-purchased, and finally shelved the Alembic unit. I now use the GK for tone shaping. I would definately use the Alembic only for adding that tube compression: in no way would I rely on it for eq during a gig! Totally unknowable results once you start playing with it.But thats just my .05
  11. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

I don't have an F-1X but I do have an F-2B which is just about the same. After 22 years of enjoying this preamp, my preferred settings are 4-10-7 (bass-middle-treble) with switches turned off.

The tube in these Alembic pre's make a difference too, and the best I've tried (and are using) are the Telefunkens.

And all my basses (Wal, P, & J) wear flats.
  12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

to be brutally honest, i dont think 15" cabs are good for slap at all. too slow, and flat sounding, than a set of 10" speakers which are faster, tighter, and more responsive for slap. i've heard the Alembic for slap and it was pretty F'in' good.
  13. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

What model Bag Ends are you using...They do make a S 15XD which has a high frequency driver installed in the dome section of the speaker...

I have a S 15 D and a S 15XD... The XD reproduces the highs very nice...not to brittle or harsh since the driver has a paper cone...
  14. IvanMike

Media:
    i have to go with joshua on this one - once you learn how to use it the alembic has incredible tone shaping for a passive unit, of course, it doesnt hurt that i use the alembic superfilter in the effects loop either........that unit has a steep learning curve just like the f-1x's passive eq, but once you know how to use both of those units - look out :cool:
  15. Badmuthaplucka

Badmuthaplucka Supporting Member

You know I use to use my boss VF-1 multi-fx in the FX loop of my F-1x to compinsate for the unit's lack of mids. However, I recently started using a MXR M-80 and it turned my Alembic pre turned into a monster! It totally reminded me of an SVT, but without the dirt. The sound is punchy, the mids are no longer an issue, and I have no problems cutting thru the mix anymore. I would totally recomend the MXR M-80/Alembic F-1x combo for any one looking to add some mids and cutting power the the F-1x.
  16. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF

Tell that to Claypool, circa '91-'99... :spit: :p Mesa/Boogie Diesel 2x15's, baby. I used to have one, and they are great slap cabs. I heard the new Bergie 2x15+6 are great for that too. You just gotta have the right 15" cab is all.
  17. IvanMike

Media:
    anyone who thinks alembics are mid shy hasnt really listened to the 2-10-2 no deep switch setting
    or for a wild sound try 10-10-10