1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Alesis 3630

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by xander8280, Aug 16, 2012.

1. xander8280

xander8280

What's your opinion on it?
    How does it compare to the all mighty dbx comps?
    Should I use it stereo, one before preamp and one after preamp and have mild comp on each to equal out to suitable compression?

2. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    It's known as the "dirty six dirty" for a reason.

3. Ironjaw

Ironjaw

Depends on which of the mighty DBX you're referring to...not near as useful and cool at 160's or 163 but pretty equivalent to dual channel DBX of similar cost.

My preferred way to use 3630 for bass is to go first into Channel A for mild compression for basic level control...but even more so to get that midrange firmness of a little bit of the right comp setting. You'd want a low ratio 2:1 or less, a slow attack and a medium release setting. Set the threshold so your normal playing level is ~2dB into the comp. Then run the output of channel A into channel B to be set as a limiter: high ration ~10:1, fast attack and medium release settings. Have the threshold set so that only your most aggressive playing shows on the LED.

The final attack, release and threshold settings are to be to your style, chops and taste.

Try it, you'll dig.

4. DBCrocky

DBCrocky

I've never used one, but I've heard a lot of bad reviews...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. xander8280

xander8280

Thanks for this comment man, I will have to double it up and do this. Thanks!

7. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

I've read the same reviews. I have had a 3630 for a long time and have used many really nice mid range rack units and high end compressor pedals. I happen to like the 3630. So much so, I sold my DBX 166XL and kept the 3630 for my bass rig back in 2001. The DBX seemed to work better for everything else though. The only reason I liked the 3630 was that it imparted it's own sonic signature that I enjoyed at the time. I've always used it mildly though... Ratio at 3:1 or 4:1, I set it so I get -1 db gain reduction while playing normaly on the upper register of the bass. The louder lower notes tend to have around -8 db or so then with my Fbass.

IMO it's a real bargin in the used market because of the reviews depreciating their value.... Actually, lets call a spade a spade, they are affordable compressors to buy new but in the used market I feel they are a decent value.

8. gordabega

gordabega

Ironjaw, THANK YOU for your help with taming my 3630. I have it running through the effects loop on my SVT 4 PRO, and I swear a week ago I couldn't live with my sound, but now things are looking good. Granted, it wasn't the only thing wrong with my rig, but I bet it was a big part of it.

Thanks a lot!