1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

All-American effects board?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Dec 7, 2012.

1. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

So I'm not starting this to induce any ridiculous nationalism.. if you're anti-China or whatever, get rid of your computer, iPad, smartphone or whatnot..

But I recently saw a very interesting setup on Facebook through a fan of Fairfield Circuitry.. (I like their Unpleasant Surprise and Four Eyes Fuzz, both are on my board, as well as their ring mod..) His setup was pretty much all Canadian made except for the EHX Pog 2. I was thinking of a similar project for my own.. maybe going, since I'm American, all American. I guess it might've started with clothing, stop buying so much of everything and buy better, stop shopping at Walmart and instead get those Pendleton shirts, those Filson bags, those LL Bean boots and all. I like knowing my money goes to support a more local community.

But anyway here's the catch: who knows a Strymon-worthy competitor for reverb that's made in the US? I've got a Canadian made Dr Scientist, and it's a dream, but their pedals get loud when you mess with their clean boost, which I've never had much use for.

I'm starting out with some US-made pedals like a Tech21 Sansamp, AD4096 delay from Endangered Audio in Asheville, and Iron Ether always speaks to my heart and I'm considering dropping my Fairfield pedals for the QF2. So I've got delay covered, fuzz, and dirt..

Thoughts? A conscientious motive? A stupid restriction?

(His full setup was: Strymon BlueSky Reverberator, Diamond Memory Lane 2, Retro-Sonic Analog Delay, Mission Engineering VM-0, Diamond J-Drive Mk3, Barbershop OD and Sonic Research TurboTuner ST-200, and POG 2 - those Mission pedals are also all California, baby!)

2. crguti

crguti

3. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

Don't care to elaborate?

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

I've seen the Wampler Faux Spring Reverb getting some raves.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. newbold

newbold

While a nice idea, it's probably wiser to either go all handbuilt or strive for overall quality over propping up the concept of the nation state.

I'm not a globalist by any means but it seems to me that if you have any real tangible criteria to work with that should be your concern instead.

After all, you'd be ruling out SFX Sound in the UK and I've been reading nothing but rave reviews on Max' gear.

7. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

+1 you are seriously ruling out some awesome builders such as:

CopilotFx (domincan rep)
    Empress and wounded paw (canada)
    Sfx (UK)
    Iron Ether (the future)

I would go for hand-built over massed produced, for sure. But there are great pedal builders all over the world.

8. jwr

jwr Supporting Member

I'm not sure that's possible. Aren't most resistors and caps produced overseas? So maybe they are assembled in America, but not every part is made in America. heh

9. blubolt

blubolt

Neunaber Wet Reverb : from their FAQ -

http://www.neunabertechnology.com/support/faq#TOC-How-are-your-pedals-assembled-
    How are your pedals assembled?

"We use modern assembly techniques. "Hand-wiring" is prone to human error, so we don't do that. We produce consistent, reliable results using automation and strict procedures.

All manufacturing labor is from right here in Orange County, California."

Pretty clear. And its a SICK reverb. If ripples on a pond could just go on forever, they would sound like this pedal. Its gorgeous :)
    YouTube link if you care to check it out:

10. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

Seems I'm double-quoting here - the whole hand-built or in-house design/fabrication is what I'm after. CoPilot is awesome, I had a custom Broadcast for a while.. but isn't Iron Ether designed and built in Missouri? Did I miss something? If nothing else I've got some very cool companies to look into. It's more of a thought experiment than anything else, its nice to stretch things to their logical limit. Regarding where resistors and such are produced.. not my area of expertise. Or even familiarity. Some builders seem to pay more attention to such thins than others, though whether it matters is very much contested.

11. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

From their site: "Iron Ether pedals are built and finished by hand, in New Orleans, Louisiana, USA."

Definitely doesn't rule them out..

12. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

Plus, yes - as far as digital delays to run after my analog delay, Empress is easily towards the top of the list.

13. M Sterling

M Sterling Gold Supporting Member

Sorry I was just making a joke. I said they were from the future. I have 5 IE pedals and they are awesome.

14. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

Yeah.. I caught that a minute too late. They are freaking awesome. I love my Frantabit and Xerograph.

15. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Sad but true

16. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

+1000 And those Walmart workers help support your community they are your friends and neighbors who pay taxes and shop in businesses that are in your community to be completely American you are more than a few decades too late but congrats for a noble effort I agree with your point.

17. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13. Gold Supporting Member

If you've spent any major time in New Orleans you might disagree! :D

18. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

I KNEW IT!!

19. Koldenblue

Koldenblue

I'm just gonna point out that strymon pedals actually are made in the USA. You can check their website for verification.

I have the iron ether reverb, and it's a really great sounding pedal.

I think the source audio reverb may also be made in the US? But I couldn't find the info on the website. They are definitely designed in the US though.

20. Dark Barn

Dark Barn Supporting Member

I though Walmart only paid it's employees enough to afford to shop at Walmart.

21. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

LOL