1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

ALL BASS PLAYERS USE FLATS!!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mdogs, May 18, 2012.

1. mdogs

mdogs Supporting Member

Based on the direction of the threads in this forum as of late, you would be able to draw no other conclusion than 99% of the world uses flatwounds instead of the other way around. Someone needs to inform GC that they need to redo their planogram to reflect this market shift...

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

I've never met anybody who uses flats.

The post count is skewed, because those of us who play rounds are busy enjoying our bass playing, instead of spending all day on TalkBass complaining about how high tension and dead sounding our flats are :)

3. Waterpilot

Waterpilot

Do they make flatwound strings for a 5-string, black bass, using a Peavey amp and 210 Cerwin Vega PA sub? :D

4. audiophile21

audiophile21

I don't, and will never use flatwounds. They sound too dull for me, I tried them once and its just not the same, the feel is different but I just don't like them. The only way I'll ever buy flatwounds again is the slim chance I ever buy a fretless.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. madbassplaya

madbassplaya Supporting Member

They have their applications. Just none that I'm usually interested in. :D

I usually keep one bass with flats or pressure wounds for something different but it only gets played around the house.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Lol, the flatwound users are a persistent and dedicated old bunch arent they. Myself will continue to do like most and use roundwounds for better sound and feel. Cant see any of the main music styles I like sounding at all good with flats for bass. Lol.

SanDiegoHarry likes this.
  8. iamjustin

iamjustin

i feel like this will be a dumb thing that this forum does now, almost like when someone posts about only using a pick
    for example:
    thread start, "i only use roundwound ernie ball strings, but my bassist friend said roundwould sucks and good players use flats, is he right?"
    then you will get pointless yeahs and no ways, then someone will say,
    "I use flatwound strings when the song calls for it, but roundwound when the song needs poppy-ness, can't we all just get along."

/end fake imaginary thread

Brazilfunk likes this.
  9. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

I used rounds for 25 years, then started using flats for 50s music, which felt weird at first. Now I prefer them, for the most part. Still, when I play my Waterstone TP 12 string bass, I use rounds on that, and my Gibson Thunderbird will always have rounds on it. Depends on the bass and the type of music I am playing.

There is room for both rounds and flats in this crazy world.

10. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I do not think TB is representative of all the bass players out there.
    Even though all I use on all of my basses is flats.
    I play bass, not a piano

11. paparoof

paparoof

Disclosures:
    fEARful koolaid drinker
    I dig both flats and rounds.

So there.

pmad_bass likes this.
  12. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

ALL BASS PLAYERS USE FLATS!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't and never will ...

13. NOVAX

NOVAX

I'm going to ask it: what are the best flats for metal?

pmad_bass likes this.
  14. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser

Last time I used "flats" was in the 1960's and they were black nylon tapewound. You could get a lot of the popular sounds for that time period but then......

I can get a flat string's sound with a patch(1 of 64 in the Line 6), how I play, and the tone knob on the bass. I cannot get roundwound bite, snarl, growl, and musical noise out of a flatwound.

BTW, are there any flatwounds that withstand the serious abuse a Kahler trem puts stings through?

15. NOVAX

NOVAX

Flats do indeed sound warm and woody on the fretless tis true, easier gliss and all-maybe not as much, how you say, Mwah?;)

16. NOVAX

NOVAX

Previously the wrong quote. Sorry- This one is the right one:D

17. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

I'd even venture saying that the general opinion on TB isn't representative of TB members.

18. Rage1331

Rage1331

D'Addario Chromes.

19. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

http://www.rotosound.com/sh_77.php

I prefer rounds, but every now and then I'll throw a set of chromes on one of my basses. My fretless has flats on it at all times.

20. sadasar

sadasar

Disclosures:
    endorsing artist hard luck king guitars and knuckle head strings
    When did all bad players start using flats. I mean I went to work for 12 hours today so mAybe it was during that time I dunno. I would use them on a fret less but other than that rounds are what use.

21. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Uh...Why would anyone use anything but a 4 string J with stainless steel rounds? :bag: *flame suit engage*