All budget bass collection

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jaredcouture, Jul 1, 2013.

1. Jaredcouture

Jaredcouture

I have this collection of budget basses. Squier VM Jazz IV and V. Squier Deluxe Jazz V, Sterling SUB Ray 4. Squier Affinity P with upgraded pickups and bridge and an odd contraption type P bass with a 72 Fender neck. I like them all but now I'm wondering if I should trade them all in for a couple more expensive basses. Kinda torn. What do you think?

2. BenWhoPlaysBass

BenWhoPlaysBass

I got an entry-level Washburn bass that's worth around $100 but I wouldn't trade it if ya paid me to. All about the sound and feel of the bass. If you're unhappy with the tone or playability of your "budget bass" collection, it's fine to sell 'em in favor of something better. But I wouldn't go trading a good playing bass for one with a better name brand on it.

3. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

That's nothing. There's the one dude on this site who has like 12 SX basses all in Lake Placid Blue.

If you want some new higher-end basses and you're not attached to any that you own, sell them and get what you want, especially if you're not using them all for their diversity.

4. verycoolname

verycoolname

If you have a problem with them trade them in; if you don't...don't.

Simple.

I'd keep your favorite around as a backup bass though, just in case. You don't want to put all your eggs in one basket (even if it is a nice, shiny, expensive basket). And if you feel you're going to need a five string keep the Squier Jazz V around too.

What bass were you thinking of upgrading to?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RyanJD

RyanJD Supporting Member

Lol yeah.
    I've seen the picture in like 5 different threads but I can't find it now. :rolleyes:

7. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

8. thebrian

thebrian The Brian abides. Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Well.. this one time.. at band camp..
    IMO, a high quality professional grade bass can really help accelerate your playing once you get to the level where you know the difference, and you find one that suits you and your style perfectly.

There are lots of cheap basses that people describe as great quality (especially on TB)... but it's almost always followed by "for the price". When you get a bass that's actually great quality, you'll probably wonder why you didn't get it a lot sooner.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I love cheap basses and have quite a few but I would always want at least one really good one in the collection. All my cheapos sound great in their own ways, and I enjoy the "stickin' it to the man" aspect when I use really cheap basses on some of my biggest gigs, but I enjoy the fit and finish of a nice bass a lot more, within reason. I don't spend thousands on a bass, but I'll spend a grand on a quality used one if I need to.

10. Pimmsley

Pimmsley

+1 that's pretty much how I feel about it, maybe loose half the heard in favor of one special beast... sounds like you are ready.

11. Jaredcouture

Jaredcouture

The only one I don't have an attachment to is the SUB ray 4. I love the VM jazz IV. That would have to stay. I think I could live without the VM V. I kind of want a MIA jazz. Of course I could just build one slowly instead of trading everything in.

12. Bongolation

Bongolation

[Picture of TEN BLUE SX basses deleted]

Wow.

That's about the strangest thing I've seen here yet, and that's really saying something! :eek:

13. Bongolation

Bongolation

I doubt you'd get much for them.

That's the trouble with cheap gear bought new. It's hard to get a long discount up front with low-end gear, and it's hard to get anything with resale. :(

Cheap gear's just false economy. You get bit coming and going. There are a few exceptions, but they're rare.

By shopping hard, I've bought good gear at long discount and it's substantially appreciated while I've been playing it.

14. topo morto

topo morto

I wouldn't, not for something more expensive. Somthing that suits me better, maybe - although it can be nice to have a few different basses (to set up with different strings, action, tuning...)

A bass is a few wires screwed to a couple of bits of wood. There's only so much money that is worth throwing at that problem, at least when it comes to playability. While a bigger budget gives you more choices, It's highly likely that there are a bunch of $2000 basses around that you would like less than any of your current ones.

15. Jbass4me

Jbass4me

That's alot of blue basses!...i'd def dump a few...Keep one P and one J... IMO

I'm new to this site but been playing for 30 yrs......My first bass was a cheap Hondo, until i had money for my first P-bass. The thing only had stock pickups, so I took it to Sadowsky guitars back in the mid 80's to be refitted with seymour duncan bridge pickup, while i swapped out the original P bass pickups for Bartolini's....I put an ESP lefty neck on it back then, but the truss rod was under the pickguard and after so many adjustments, i stripped the slotted screw, so i tossed the old neck and left it in pieces for yrs until i wanted to be bothered with it again.
    So yeh it's a PJ pickup configuration. Then recently i put another lefty Fender Mighty Mite replacement neck on it, which gave it once again a "Hendrix" look,-if you know what i mean....The thing has always sounded great, with a deep bottom end with lots of mids and highs...I love it, and originally only paid $180 for it...But with all the mods i'd say its worth realistically about $500....But it sounds like a million!:smug:

16. walldaja

walldaja

You may as well keep them and save for a better one. When you trade, especially with less expensive instruments, you will take a beating. You'd be better off selling them yourself. But there is nothing wrong with keeping them around. Those SUBs are a lot of fun and sound cool.

17. Jaredcouture

Jaredcouture

After reading all the replies it seems like I should just keep them and do some upgrades. Maybe buy something better down the road. I would like to own 1 real fender jazz though. Should I bother with a MIM? I've heard the VM's are as good and sometimes better than the MIM. I could get one of those used for so cheap. I've tried them in stores but that never tells me much.

18. unclejane

unclejane Guest

I've become of the mind over the years that the herd of inexpensive basses is really the way to go. So IMO, I don't think you'd gain anything and you'd likely lose some of the good things.

My high-end basses are Carvins, so the most expensive of those was only about $1300 (my Bunny 6 which I bought about 3 years ago). They're as good quality-wise and suitable-for-me wise, if not better, than anything else I could get at any price.

My only other semi-boutiquey bass is my old L2K which I've had for many years. I think I paid around $1200 for it new, something like that.

Otherwise, my favorite 4 string is now officially my defretted Modern Player jazz bass which was about $500 new (+ my tools and labor to do the defret). And my favorite bass period is now my Bromberg 5 string which was just under $1200.

The best thing about inexpensive basses:
    - you're not afraid to play them or drag them to gigs. I can't gig anymore, so this isn't that much of a big deal for me, but my basses are all playing basses (except the 4003 which I keep as an art piece and not a player) that I don't worry about smacking on.
    - you're not afraid to cut into them or sand on them, etc., if they develop a problem. I've had to take the radius block to all my basses except the Bunny 4 (and the Bromberg is still brand new) which I'd be pretty nervous about doing on a > $1300 bass. With basses made of wood, things just go wrong from time to time. So you have to be comfy with having to take the tools to it, else you'll just have all kinds of blood pressure problems and not as much fun playing.
    - you'll play and sound just as good on an inexpensive bass that fits you than on an expensive version of the same bass. No advantage there, so may as well just keep/maintain the cheap one.
    - you'll have money left over for other essentials, like food, rent, girlfriend, etc.

So again my recommendation is to stay away from the 1-2 high priced instruments thingy. Or do the 1-2 inexpensive instrument thing instead (that's even better than a herd). Of course, if your favorite bass turns out to be an expensive one, well, stuff happens and then you die, and you just have to bear that cost. But if you like the herd you have now, you're probably already in the best shape you can be in.

LS

19. DwaynieAD

DwaynieAD

that's a pretty solid collection you have there OP

20. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

I have a budget collection too.

Fender MIM P Special
    Fender MIM Jazz
    Schecter Model-T
    Squier CV P
    Epiphone Ripper RI
    Ibanez Art core
    Squier VM Jag
    Squier VM Jazz
    Rogue Violin Bass
    Xaviere P
    SX Jazz

I am tempted from time to time to sell most of them to
    buy a couple "better" basses but the truth is for what I
    would get for my basses doesn't make it worth it.

Besides some of my budget models play as good as basses costing 3x or 4x more.

21. Jaredcouture

Jaredcouture

It's a good possibility I've hit a plateau. I have this habit of buying new equipment when this happens. It gets me excited again when I get something new. I have to cure myself of this habit. My best ideas always come out on a new toy but I usually end up taking the ideas back to the Vintage Modified Jazz when I get bored of the new one. There's always that bass I HAVE TO HAVE then it hangs on the wall until I take it in the rear when I trade it in lol