1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

All-custom Pedalboard build

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vbchaos, Apr 10, 2014.

1. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Since I built my fEARful cabs, the DIY virus has infected me with heavy impact. On the lookout for a new project I (literally) trapped on my current pedal-board, which looks like this:
    [​IMG]

And that is not even all of the pedals I need, it is just a collection for the current set-list we compiled. So I was on the look-out for a new pedalboard. My major handicap is that I am left-handed and by this also left-footed, and that means that my pedalboard needs to be mirrored (wahwahs on the left, chain from left to right). I eventually found the Smith&Stange pedals boards which I found very inspirating but I wasn't amused to pay +500 euros for a pedalboard. In the end, it is just a bunch of fancy-sawn panels glued together. So I planned to do it myself, with the knowledge that it will look a bit less professional, might be less stable but will be much cheaper and absolutely and 100% designed for my very needs and requirements! And as the great philosopher ALF already said: If you want it to be done well, do it yourself!

So, here are the requirements:
    - 2 layer design
    - upper layer can swing open (up) to give access to room underneath
    - Room underneath gives space for all power wiring and allows storage of wires from/to pedalboard
    - Should be lightend in some way
    - Must end up as a kind of case, must be light and easily moveable (road-ready)
    - future-proof - means that I do not have all the pedals yet but do know which I want to add. Leave room for 2 more
    - Maybe (I am not sure about that yet) add wheels to one side and a handle to the other
    - Costs < 100&#8364;

OK?

Here we go:

Preperation
    At first, I made paper dummies of all pedals I have and/or intent to have in the near future. With that in hands, I experimented with room/space:
    [​IMG]
    Afterwards I used the pedals I already have for a more realistic test. As you can see it was my intention to have my G55 receiver in sight but in some way hidden.
    [​IMG]

I eventually went with a width of 80cm, depth of 40cm and hights of 25cm

Sawdust, glue and paint
    OK, time to make some sawdust! I live in an appartement and have no room for big machines, so I had the saw-guy at the DIY store have horrible time cutting the panels. But he did a fine job after all:
    [​IMG]
    A bit of assemblage already:
    [​IMG]
    New check with pedals:
    [​IMG]
    Adjusting the side panels and calculate the wire channels:
    [​IMG]
    A colleague at work helps me with a CNC cutter with the wire channels in the panels. They are now routed with 0,1mm precision (a bit overkill ;-)):
    [​IMG]
    Both layer installed with hinges:
    [​IMG]

Time for some Duratex - I went with a white finish and black hardware:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

That whole things gets a lid, too:
    [​IMG]

stability test:
    [​IMG]

The lid is paint, too!
    [​IMG]

Finishes and details
    Size-comparison:
    [​IMG]

felt inlay:
    [​IMG]

Raising the NERD factor - RGB lights:
    [​IMG]

Connectivity to the outside world! One power connector and two jacks.
    [​IMG]

And finally, the status of this very morning!!!
    [​IMG]

-------------------------------------------------------
    I have to admit that this board is huge! Since we do not gig massively (2 shows per month) I don't care as much, but with a tour I guess this thing can become a burdon.
    All went well but took a lot of time - especially since I have no pro machines nor the propper space for that kind of work (all happened in the basement).
    Regarding the costs: I went with 12mm PowerPlex panels which were 50 euros in total (incl cutting). Velcro strips 10 euros, bunch of hardware and paint another 40 euros. So, the 100 euros were a good target. I have to admit that I fancy those RGB LEDs which came in at 30 euros from IKEA, so I eventually paid 30 euros more than intended.

Things left to do:
    - the lid must be equipped with hardware (corners, feet, locks)
    - Lid-inside will get felt inlay
    - Install handles

Thanks for watching :)

All pictures of this build can be seen in my web album:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/100899623012956050109/PedalboardBuild?authuser=0&feat=directlink

2. OEW3

OEW3

That looks great. Nice work. Seeing this really makes me want to make one of my own. I doubt I could do as well as this though. I like the two tiers, and power storage underneath. There's nothing more satisfying than making it yourself. Well done.

3. nogoodwithnames

nogoodwithnames

Bravo. Looks incredible. I built my own board too, but it looks nowhere near as good as this. :)

4. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Very nice. How much does it weigh?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. vbchaos

vbchaos

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Thank you all :)
    Regarding the weight: I haven't had it on scales yet but tried to insert/wire all my effect pedals yesterday evening and noticed that this thing is heavy. I guess around 10kg (20lbs).

With a good, stable handle in the center of the front it will be quite easy to carry around

7. Mr. Majestic

Mr. Majestic Mr. Majestic Swamp Ash Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Majestic Swamp Ash
  8. kirkdickinson

kirkdickinson

Very nice work I like the creativity and I like the way the finish and fit look.

9. Crabby

Crabby

Love the white finish. The two tiers with hinges is a great idea. Now you just need to fill it with pedals! :)

10. kesslari

kesslari Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    That is beautiful, impressive, and functional work!