1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

All fifths tuning

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Ketchakah, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Ketchakah

Ketchakah

Hello All,
    I am Ketch. I am very very new to this. I am thinking of re tuning my Bass to an All Fifths tuning. I set up a short scale with piccolo strings in Fifths and really liked the sound.
    Now i am thinking of setting up the bigger one in a similar tuning but in the normal Bass range.

Would those that know more then me. (Which is pretty much everyone :) ) please give me your thoughts as to any advantage or disadvantage to tuning to fifths for 1-5 progressions and what tuning you like best.
    I am thinking either the standard E or perhaps to C as is the piccolo.

Thank you for your thoughts. Ketch

2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe Supporting Member

I see no reason to use it ever, but especially for bluegrass. You already have the open 1-5 ... A/E, D/A, G/D ... and everything inbetween (walk-up/down, etc) is easy to get to. Fifths tuning just spreads everything out.

3. bobsax

bobsax

Do you need low action for 5th tuning?

I saw a Red Mitchell video and it looked like he was bar chording. I can't image doing that with my setup.