1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

All fifths tuning

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Ketchakah, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Ketchakah

Ketchakah

Hello All,
    I am Ketch. I am very very new to this. I am thinking of re tuning my Bass to an All Fifths tuning. I set up a short scale with piccolo strings in Fifths and really liked the sound.
    Now i am thinking of setting up the bigger one in a similar tuning but in the normal Bass range.

Would those that know more then me. (Which is pretty much everyone :) ) please give me your thoughts as to any advantage or disadvantage to tuning to fifths for 1-5 progressions and what tuning you like best.
    I am thinking either the standard E or perhaps to C as is the piccolo.

Thank you for your thoughts. Ketch
  2. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

I see no reason to use it ever, but especially for bluegrass. You already have the open 1-5 ... A/E, D/A, G/D ... and everything inbetween (walk-up/down, etc) is easy to get to. Fifths tuning just spreads everything out.
  3. bobsax

bobsax

Do you need low action for 5th tuning?

I saw a Red Mitchell video and it looked like he was bar chording. I can't image doing that with my setup.