1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

"All tube" amps (signal path) in production today?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by AlexanderB, Jan 21, 2014.

1. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I searched but did not find any recent discussion on the subject.
    I did check the Ampeg V-4B manual briefly and it seems the signal path is all tube? The SVT amp has some sort of (silicon) diod between the pre and power amp, if my memory serves me? (The user manual's schematics does not show if things are SS or tube.) What about other tube amps in production, are they really "all tube"?
    The Traynor YBA 300, for instance, is called "all tube" but uses OP amps in the tone control stages, according to the Service manual.
  2. mjac28

mjac28 50th Anniversary Ed Sullivan February 9, 1964 Gold Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure the SVT is all tube are you talking about point to point wired?
  3. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

4. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The anti-parallel diodes in the SVT between the pre and power amp are there to catch spikes. This can occur when you plug in to the pre out or power amp in. Otherwise, they don't affect the signal.

There is sand in the pathway in the form of operational amplifiers if you are going through the balanced out. But that signal is usually fed into a solid state mixing board so that isn't an issue.
  5. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Great replies!

What about the new Fenders? Pre-amps could also be included, such as TBP1, Demeter etc...
  6. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

Don't most tube amps these days have SS rectifiers? I think the very first SVTs had tube rectifiers, but didn't they also change to SS rectifiers after just 1 year or so of production?
  7. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

(signal path) = not rectifier...
  8. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

If you see a graphic equalizer on a tube amp you can be pretty sure you are running through silicon. Channel switching is often through switching opamps and many effects loops use opamp buffers.
  9. mancefine

mancefine

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Orange Amplifiers and Spector Basses
    Orange AD 200B
  10. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs, Jule Amps
    The top half of this combo:

[​IMG]
  11. Mark Reccord

Mark Reccord

Yeah, that's usually a giveaway that the signal path isn't all tube. Graphic EQs are active device intensive and are easier to implement using devices with much lower output impedances than triodes can typically provide.
  12. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

I belive the Fender Studio Bass has an all tube five band (rotary, but might as well had been graphic!) equalizer, though.
  13. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

That Jule amp looks very nice, but perhaps a bit more fragile than, let's say an SVT... :smug:

We will probably never see them here in Sweden. Well, at least you can get an Aguilar here... :meh:
  14. chicago_mike

chicago_mike

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist : Genz Benz
    Don't worry about a piece of silicon in the signal chain man.
  15. ThePoloHobo

ThePoloHobo Supporting Member

The new Mesa Boogie Prodigy and Strategy are all tubes
  16. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Without seeing a schematic (not a block diagram), don't assume all tube.

This looks like an all tube signal path amp?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's not. :)
  17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

The best a single rectifier tube can do is power a 50-60W amp. A 300W SVT would require six rectifier tubes unless exotic rectifier tubes are used.
  18. ThePoloHobo

ThePoloHobo Supporting Member

What makes this not "all-tubes signal path"?
    Makes me want to open up my 2012 SVT...
  19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The SVT has always had solid state rectification. The earliest one had a turn-on time delay relay tube. Perhaps what you are thinking of.

Early amp designs all incorporated tube rectifiers. But there is a limit as to how much current a tube rectifier can deliver. As amps started getting more powerful, greater than around 50W, they needed a better solution. Some amps had more than one tube rectifier running in parallel but the better solution was to use solid state diodes in the power supply.
  20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Oh yes, put the B-15 at the top of your all tube with the best tone list. Underneath that put the new V4B that you mentioned. A very well designed and built modern amp.